1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One-Dim Time-Indep Schro Eqn

1. Feb 25, 2008 #1
    A particle with mass m and energy E is moving in one dimension from right to left. It is incident on the step potential V(x)=0 for x<0 and V(x)=Vo <--(pronounced "v not") for x>=0, where Vo>0, as shown on the diagram. The energy of this particle is E>Vo.
    (The diagram has a particle coming in from the left above V=Vo)

Solve the Schrodinger equation to derive the wave function for x<0 and x>=0. Express the solution in terms of a single unknown constant.

I have been looking at the case when a particle is coming in from the right and E>Vo, but I am failing to make a connection between the two. I really need the idea explained to me here, I'm missing something!!!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2008 #2
    I just wrote up an answer to almost the same question in another thread with almost the same name as this one: "1-dimensional time-independent Schroedinger equation"

The question in the other thread was messed up because it put in a second step potential; but essentially you didn't need to worry about that in the end. Here is my write-up from the other thread:

I can't read the correction you made to your original post but the problem only makes sense to me if there is an incoming particle (wave actually) from the left, a step in potential at x=0 and another one at x=a. Then there is a reflection at the first boundary, a middle zone with waves going both ways, and a transmitted beam at the second boundary.

I think you already have expressions for the waves, which is to say their k numbers, based on the three potentials. So there are 5 undetermined coefficients, in general complex, for the wave amplitudes.

However, as I see it, it gets a lot simpler when you consider what they are asking for: just the ratio between the left- and right- propagating waves in the middle zone. Let's take the outgoing wave in zone 3 to have unit amplitude; in fact, make the wave number something simple like 1 so it is just:

exp(ikx - wt)

(of course we won't worry to much about the wt).

Then you just need to match up the waves in zone 2, let's give them a wave number like 3 or something:

Aexp(i3x) + Bexp(-i3x)

And I believe the boundary condition is that both the amplitudes and their derivatives have to match up at the transition. With the arbitrary numbers I put in above, I can solve pretty easily: I get A + B = 1 for the amplitudes, and 3A - 3B = 1 for the derivatives.

So it seems I can solve the problem as stated without even worrying about what happened at the first boundary, with the incoming particle. Does this look right?

Marty

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?