One Dimensional Force Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum strength needed for a fishing line to stop a drifting salmon of weight 87 N in 11 cm. The equation F=ma and the assumption of a constant deceleration are used to solve the problem. The conversation also includes a discussion on the understanding and application of one-dimensional problems in this context.
MFlood7356
1. The tension at which a fishing line snaps is commonly called the line's “strength.” What minimum strength is needed for a line that is to stop a salmon of weight 87 N in 11 cm if the fish is initially drifting horizontally at 3.3 m/s? Assume a constant deceleration.

2. F=ma, W=mg

3. I have a feeling this problem is really easy I just don't know how to do it. I thought I did it correct below but my answer is wrong. Can someone help me please?

W=87N d=0.11m a+3.3m/s
m=87/9.8= 8.89kg
F=(3.3m/s)(8.89kg)= 29.3N

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really understand how this can be a one-dimensional problem.
If it is, you first have to find the acceleration using what is given. ie.
Final velocity = 0
Initial velocity = 3.3 m/s
Displacement = 0.11 m
Try v2 - u2 = 2*a*s to find out the acceleration and multiply it with the mass of the body under consideration.

Oh okay. I had no idea I had to relate those equations. Is my mass that I have above correct?

So I just tried it and still got it wrong. Here's what I did.

a= 3.32/0.22= 49.5

What is a one dimensional force problem?

A one dimensional force problem is a type of physics problem where the motion and forces involved are restricted to a single direction. This means that all forces acting on the object can be represented by a single line or axis.

How do you solve a one dimensional force problem?

To solve a one dimensional force problem, you will need to use Newton's laws of motion. First, draw a free body diagram to visualize all the forces acting on the object. Then, use Newton's second law (F = ma) to calculate the net force on the object. Finally, use the kinematic equations to solve for the object's acceleration, velocity, and position.

What are some common examples of one dimensional force problems?

Examples of one dimensional force problems include a ball rolling down a ramp, a car accelerating in a straight line, and a person jumping off a diving board.

What are some tips for solving one dimensional force problems?

One tip for solving one dimensional force problems is to always draw a clear and accurate free body diagram. This will help you visualize the forces acting on the object and determine the direction of the net force. Additionally, make sure to clearly label all variables and units in your calculations to avoid mistakes.

What are some real-world applications of one dimensional force problems?

One dimensional force problems are used in many real-world applications, such as designing bridges and buildings, calculating the motion of projectiles, and analyzing the forces on moving vehicles. They are also important in sports, such as calculating the trajectory of a baseball or the forces involved in a ski jump.