1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One Dimensional Heat Equation

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the heat energy per unit mass necessary to raise the temperature of a thin slice of thickness [itex]\Delta[/itex]x from [itex]0^o{}[/itex] to [itex]u(x,t)[/itex] is not [itex]c(x)u(x,t)[/itex]. but instead [itex]\int_0^uc(x,\overline{u})d\overline{u}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

According to the text, the relationship between thermal energy and temperature is given by

[itex]e(x,t) = c(x)p(x)u(x,t)[/itex],

which states that the thermal energy per unit volume equals the thermal energy per unit mass per unit degree times the temperature time the mass density.

When the specific heat [itex]c(x)[/itex] is independent of temperature, the heat energy per unit mass is just [itex]c(x)u(x,t)[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

The only hint really is that this is related to the area, from the solution. How can I go about this geometrically and/or algebraically?

Any help/pointers will be much appreciated. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

that integral doesn't make sense based on what you've posted, can you check it... c has changed to a function of x only or x and u (position and temperature)...?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  4. Jun 15, 2011 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

so i think you do need to assume c = c(x,u), then try and find the change in energy de, for a small change in temp du and integrate.

5. Jun 15, 2011 #4
    Argh of course!! Thank you very much! :approve:

6. Jun 16, 2011 #5
    I have used your advice and went about it in the following way:

For a small slice of thickness [itex]\Delta{x}[/itex] a small change in energy will be given by

[itex]de = c(x,u)du[/itex]

Dividing by [itex]du[/itex] I obtain [itex]e_{u} = c(x,u)[/itex].

From the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, this really says that

[itex]e(x,t) = \int_0^uc(x,t)dt[/itex].

Am I correct in my thinking? It feels a bit messy somehow...

7. Jun 16, 2011 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

you can just start from differentials
    [tex] de = c(x,u)du [/tex]
    [tex] \delta e = \int_{e_0}^{e_f}d\bar{e} = \int_{0}^{u} c(x,\bar{u})d\bar{u} [/tex]

8. Jun 16, 2011 #7
    Your equation did not even occur to me but simplifies it a lot. Thank you very much for your help. I can now get some sleep again :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook