1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One-Dimensional Kinematics: Height vs Time

1. Sep 29, 2003 #1
    This problem has a picture. You can view it at http://www.geocities.com/rockdog_84/One.htm

Ok. Maybe I'm missing something here, but for part one, I thought free-fall acceleration would be 9.8 m/s^2. Of course, computer didn't take it, so is there a way to find it from the graph?

As for the second part of the question, I thought initial velocity is 0, but its not the right answer. :-(
    I guess another way to find initial velocity would be take the derivative of x(t) when t = 0, but I don't know the equation for this problem.

Any insight is appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2003 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

9.8 m/s^2 is the correct acceleration due to gravity on Earth, however the scenario in question takes place on the planet Zoot. If a question does not take place on Earth, then that is a big red flag that acceleration due to gravity is NOT 9.8 m/s^2.

You can figure out g by using s = 1/2 at^2 + u*t (Take the second half of the graph where u is 0).

Once you know g, you can use u^2 = v^2 - 2*a*s to find the final velocity. (Take the first half of the graph this time so v = 0)
    Note: -
    u = initial velocity
    v = final velocity
    t = time
    a = acceleration
    s = displacement

4. Sep 30, 2003 #3
    big thanks!

Man, I would never have thought of that! Thank you so much.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?