1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One Dimensional Kinematics

1. May 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "A race car driver must average 180 km/h for 4 laps to qualify for a race. Because of engine trouble, the car averages only 150 km/h over the first 2 laps. What speed must be maintained for the last 2 laps?"

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I do know the answer to be 225km/h but I don't quite understand why. Since half the time trial is completed with the driver being 30km/h below the needed average, wouldn't the 2nd half just be 30km/h above the needed average (210km/h for the last 2 laps)? I'm missing something here.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2012 #2
    You r averaging the speed for individual laps.. (150 + v)/2 = 180, and thus v=210

Actually avg. speed = total distance/total time = (150*2d + v*2d)/[2d/150 + 2d/v] = 180

In short you r assuming that he takes equal time to complete the first 2 laps and the last 2 laps, which is incorrect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook