1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One dimensional kinematics

1. Jul 15, 2005 #1
    A car traveling @ 120 km/h passes by a parked police car. If it takes 5 seconds to start the police car, which then accelerates @ 3 m/s^2 to a maximum speed of 150 km/h, how far does the police car travel in overtaking the speeding car, which maintains a speed of 120 km/h?

The 5 seconds is giving me trouble... I assume they will have equal distance (change in X) when the police car overtakes the speeding car, so I set them equal to each other and solved for time...I am stumped.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2005 #2
    Did you remember to add the distance that the bandits car travels?

distance traveled by bandit = (5 seconds + t) * 33.3 m/s

The police cars distance is just a simple kinematic equation:
    distance traveled by police = (3 m/s^2 * t)

Then set the distances equal. Is that what you did?

4. Jul 15, 2005 #3

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

distance traveled by police = (3 m/s^2 * t)

No it's not, but if you get this distance correct and set the two distances equal you will find the solution to the problem. The distance the police car travels has two contributions: the constant acceleration interval and the constant velocity interval after it reaches top speed. Your expression does not give either of these distances; it gives the velocity of the police car at any time during the constant acceleration interval.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?