Calculating Acceleration from Velocity and Distance: A Two-Part Problem

In summary: It still uses distance, d, as defined above. Suppose it takes time, t, to go from -8 m/s to being at rest, 0 m/s. Then it also takes time t to get back to the starting place at positive 8 m/s . The average speed during either of these segments is 4 m/s. Now it also takes the same amount of time to go from 8 m/s to 16 m/s, but this is with average velocity of 12 m/s, so the object covers a distance of 3d during this segment.Therefore, 5d = 22 m and thus d = 4.4 m.You can then use the same kinematic equation to find
Teleknight
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
So this question has two parts. The first I got without any trouble:
"Two objects move with initial velocity of -8.00 m/s, final velocity of 16.0 m/s, and constant accelerations. (a) The first object has displacement 20.0 m. Find its acceleration."
I used The formula Vf2=Vi2+2aΔx and got an answer of 8 m/s2.
The second part is where I have some difficulty:
"(b) The second object travels a total distance of 22.0 m. Find its acceleration."
Before someone says to solve the same way as part A, I should point out part B says "distance", not "displacement".
If someone could give some insight on which equations to use and if calculus would be required that would be great. If someone wants to actually solve it that would also be fantastic for me to check my work with.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Teleknight said:
So this question has two parts. The first I got without any trouble:
"Two objects move with initial velocity of -8.00 m/s, final velocity of 16.0 m/s, and constant accelerations. (a) The first object has displacement 20.0 m. Find its acceleration."
I used The formula Vf2=Vi2+2aΔx and got an answer of 8 m/s2.
The second part is where I have some difficulty:
"(b) The second object travels a total distance of 22.0 m. Find its acceleration."
Before someone says to solve the same way as part A, I should point out part B says "distance", not "displacement".
If someone could give some insight on which equations to use and if calculus would be required that would be great. If someone wants to actually solve it that would also be fantastic for me to check my work with.

Thanks!
For (a), check your algebra.
What is (-8)2 ?

Thanks :D. That was a silly mistake to make. Now that that's sorted, any ideas for part B?

Teleknight said:
Thanks :D. That was a silly mistake to make. Now that that's sorted, any ideas for part B?
By the way: Welcome to Physics Forums !

Let's say the second object moves a distance d until coming to rest. That's in the negative direction so displacement is -d .

From that point the object moves a distance 22 - d which is in the positive direction, so that is also the displacement.

You get two equations in two unknowns.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm sorry, I really don't follow. Should I be using the same equation from part A split into two parts? If so, how do I combine them to reach a final answer of a=?

Teleknight said:
Thanks for the welcome! I'm sorry, I really don't follow. Should I be using the same equation from part A split into two parts? If so, how do I combine them to reach a final answer of a=?
Yes. Use the same kinematic equation.

Write the two resulting equations. Then it may become apparent what to do. Else, we will give more help.

When I do that I get 0=64-2ad and 0=-2ad+44a-256, when I set them equal to each other I can reduce to 44a=320 further reduced to a=7.27 m/s2. Does this seem correct? Also, thanks for all the help.

Teleknight said:
When I do that I get 0=64-2ad and 0=-2ad+44a-256, when I set them equal to each other I can reduce to 44a=320 further reduced to a=7.27 m/s2. Does this seem correct? Also, thanks for all the help.
Yes.

As a check on consistency, you can then solve for d. The overall displacement is 22 - d. See if that gives the same acceleration using the method of part (a).

(It does.)

Teleknight said:
By the way, I did come up with an alternate solution to part (b).

It still uses distance, d, as defined above. Suppose it takes time, t, to go from -8 m/s to being at rest, 0 m/s. Then it also takes time t to get back to the starting place at positive 8 m/s . The average speed during either of these segments is 4 m/s.

Now it also takes the same amount of time to go from 8 m/s to 16 m/s, but this is with average velocity of 12 m/s, so the object covers a distance of 3d during this segment.

Therefore, 5d = 22 m and thus d = 4.4 m.

You can then use the same kinematic equation to find the acceleration, using any of these time intervals .

Likes ehild
That's a pretty good explanation. Thanks for the help and having patience.

What is one dimensional kinematics?

One dimensional kinematics is the study of motion along a single straight line, without considering any forces or factors that may affect the motion.

What are the basic equations used in one dimensional kinematics?

The basic equations used in one dimensional kinematics are displacement (d = vf - vi), velocity (v = d/t), and acceleration (a = vf - vi / t).

How is one dimensional kinematics different from two or three dimensional kinematics?

One dimensional kinematics only considers motion along a single straight line, while two and three dimensional kinematics take into account motion in multiple directions.

What is the difference between speed and velocity in one dimensional kinematics?

Speed is a scalar quantity that represents the rate of motion, while velocity is a vector quantity that includes both the speed and direction of motion.

How can one dimensional kinematics be applied in real world situations?

One dimensional kinematics can be applied in real world situations such as calculating the speed of a car on a straight road, finding the displacement of an object moving in a straight line, or determining the acceleration of a falling object.