How Fast Does a Baseball Accelerate During Pitching Motion?

In summary, the average acceleration of a baseball thrown by a pitcher with a speed of 44 m/s is estimated using the equation a = (2(X - Xo))^-1 (V^2 - Vo^2) and results in a value of approximately 277 s^2 m. The equation V = sqrt (Vo^2 + 2a(X-Xo)) is also correct.
pointintime

Homework Statement

A baseball pticher throws a baseball with a speed of 44 m/s. Estimate the average acceleration of the ball drugin the trowing motion. It is observed that in throwing the baseball, the pitcher accelerates the ball through a dsiplacement of about 3.5 m, from behind the body to the point where it is released.

Homework Equations

V^2 = Vo^2 + 2a(X-Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

I rearanged the equation above for a

a = (2(X - Xo))^-1 (V^2 - Vo^2)
I thought I did it correctly I pluged in the numbers

a = (2(3.5 m))^-1 (44 s^-1 m)^2

well i got the right units just got a crazy value of about 277 s^2 m

i put this up here because it seemed kind of fast to me and I don't know were I went wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
I ALSO HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION

V^2 = Vo^2 + 2a(X-Xo)
V = sqrt ( Vo^2 + 2a(X-Xo) )

is that correct? the second line

anybody?

It looks correct. 44m/s is about 150km/h, so that's not such a crazy acceleration value since velocity is high.

1. What is one dimensional motion?

One dimensional motion is the movement of an object along a single axis or line, such as along a straight line. It is also known as linear motion.

2. What are some examples of one dimensional motion?

Some examples of one dimensional motion include a car moving along a straight road, a person walking in a straight line, and a ball rolling down a ramp.

3. How is one dimensional motion different from two or three dimensional motion?

One dimensional motion only involves movement along a single axis or line, while two or three dimensional motion involves movement in multiple directions or planes.

4. What is the equation for calculating one dimensional motion?

The equation for one dimensional motion is x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2, where x is the final position, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

5. How is acceleration involved in one dimensional motion?

In one dimensional motion, acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes over time. It can be calculated using the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.