One dimensional motion magnitude

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration of an object moving in a straight line with a constant acceleration using position and time data. Various methods are suggested, including using a formula, drawing a tangent line, and using a graphing calculator. It is ultimately determined that the easiest method is to use the equation x = x_0 + v_0 t - \frac{a t^2}{2} to solve for the unknowns and calculate the acceleration.
SMS
An object is moving in a straight line with a constant acceleration. Its position is measured at three different times, as shown in the table below.
Time (s) | Position, (m)
56.40 | 9.700
58.20 | 19.042
60.00 | 38.428
Calculate the magnitude of the acceleration at t=58.20 s

I am not quite sure how to start this. I thought you could find the velocities between the three different measurements and use this formula a =(vf-vi)/t.

Physics news on Phys.org
SMS said:
An object is moving in a straight line with a constant acceleration. Its position is measured at three different times, as shown in the table below.
Time (s) | Position, (m)
56.40 | 9.700
58.20 | 19.042
60.00 | 38.428
Calculate the magnitude of the acceleration at t=58.20 s

I am not quite sure how to start this. I thought you could find the velocities between the three different measurements and use this formula a =(vf-vi)/t.

i had a question like this before. Since i didn't know calculus yet, our teacher just told us to draw the best that we could of a tangent line at t=58.2 to the curve you made with those 3 points.

Last edited:
Yep, easiest way is to input that data into a graphing calculator in the table function. Then, graph that line. After that, find that point on your graph and VIOLA!

Paden Roder

Ok

OK, I'll put it in my Calc and see what I get.

Thanks PRodQuanta and needhelpperson.

oops, i forgot that a constant acceleration has a linear graph with velocity vs time. you can just figure out the change in velocity over the first 2 points and divide it over the change in time. sorry bout that...

Yes!

Thanks needhelpperson that worked and really helped. I will remember that for next time.

I think if you realize that [tex]x = x_0 + v_0 t - \frac{a t^2}{2}[/tex] then you can use your data to obtain a simple linear system of equations for the three unknowns [tex]x_0[/tex], [tex]v_0[/tex] and [tex]a[/tex]. Then you can use your solution of this system to calculate the acceleration or whatever you want at any time!

1. What is one dimensional motion magnitude?

One dimensional motion magnitude refers to the size or quantity of a one-dimensional object's movement in a particular direction.

2. How is one dimensional motion magnitude measured?

One dimensional motion magnitude is typically measured in units of distance, such as meters or centimeters.

3. What factors affect one dimensional motion magnitude?

The factors that affect one dimensional motion magnitude include the initial velocity, acceleration, and time of the object's movement.

4. How is one dimensional motion magnitude different from two or three dimensional motion?

One dimensional motion magnitude only considers the movement of an object in a single direction, while two and three dimensional motion take into account movement in multiple directions.

5. How can one dimensional motion magnitude be calculated?

One dimensional motion magnitude can be calculated using the equation magnitude = speed x time, where speed is the rate at which the object is moving and time is the duration of the movement.