One dimensional motion problem

In summary, the car is moving at 187km/h while the truck is moving at 71km/h and is 150m ahead of the car. The question is how long it will take for the car to catch the truck. After some calculations, the answer is around 38 seconds, but the correct answer is actually 34 seconds. The error was in the calculation of 150m / 4.4m/s.
colin_delecia
A car moving at 187km/h is behind a truck that's moving at 71km/h and is 150m ahead of the car

How long will it take the car to catch the truck ?

I'm literally in 2 lectures in my physics 101 class but I figure it would be cool to take a shot at the problem. This is what I did...

87km/h - 71km/h = 16km/h

16km/h = 4.4m/s

4.4m/s = 150 / t

t * 4.4m/s = 150
t = 150 - 4.4m/s
t = 146s

Well I checked it on masteringphysics h.w site and it was wrong...can't think of anything else.

Physics news on Phys.org
colin_delecia said:
A car moving at 187km/h is behind a truck that's moving at 71km/h and is 150m ahead of the car

How long will it take the car to catch the truck ?

I'm literally in 2 lectures in my physics 101 class but I figure it would be cool to take a shot at the problem. This is what I did...

87km/h - 71km/h = 16km/h

16km/h = 4.4m/s

4.4m/s = 150 / t

t * 4.4m/s = 150
t = 150 - 4.4m/s
t = 146s

Well I checked it on masteringphysics h.w site and it was wrong...can't think of anything else.

See red region.Do you got the point? Answer should around 38 seconds.

yea, 34s. I was supposed to do 150m / 4.4m/s. thanks

What is one dimensional motion?

One dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object along a single straight line. This means that the object is only able to move forwards or backwards, and there is no lateral movement involved.

What are some examples of one dimensional motion?

Some examples of one dimensional motion include a car driving along a straight road, a person walking in a straight line, and a pendulum swinging back and forth.

What is displacement in one dimensional motion?

Displacement in one dimensional motion refers to the change in position of an object from its starting point to its ending point. It is a vector quantity and is measured in units such as meters or feet.

What is velocity in one dimensional motion?

Velocity in one dimensional motion is the rate of change of an object's displacement over time. It is a vector quantity and is measured in units such as meters per second or feet per second.

What is acceleration in one dimensional motion?

Acceleration in one dimensional motion is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity and is measured in units such as meters per second squared or feet per second squared.