1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One dimensional problem

1. May 21, 2006 #1
    Sir,
    Please say whether these 2 problems are right.
    1) A body of mass 2kg moving on a horizontal surface with an initial velocity of 4 m/sec comes to rest after 2 seconds. If one wants to keep this moving on the same surface with same velocity, what is the force that is needed to be applied?
    I solved it in the following way:
    Acceleration = (0 – 4)/2
    = -2m/sec^2
    Retarding force = mass x retardation
    = 2 x 2
    = 4 Newton
    So if a force equal to the retarding force is applied, the body will move with a constant velocity of 4 m/sec^2. But the book answer is 2 Newton. What is your opinion Sir?

2) A splash is heard 4.28 seconds after a stone is dropped into a well 78.4 meters deep. What is the velocity of sound?
    I solved it in the following way:
    Time taken by the stone to reach the well = [2H/g]^1/2
    (Here H is depth of well & g = 9.8 m/sec^2)
    = 4 seconds
    Time taken by sound to reach the observer = 4.28 – 4
    = 0.28 seconds
    Velocity of sound = 78.4/0.28
    = 280 m/sec
    But the book answer is 341 m/sec. What is your opinion?I think the book answer is wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2006 #2
    for the first problem i also get an acceleration of 2 m/s^2
    since sum F = 0, then it should follow that F = m*a = 4 N
    The book must have a typo

for the second problem it also looks like you solved the problem correctly.
    While speed typically does travel around 340 m/s at standard atmospheric conditions, the answer does come out to 280 m/s with the numbers they have given you. What text is this anyways?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?