One-dimensional Schrodinger Equation

In summary, one-dimensional Schrodinger's Equation can be solved using the formula \psi(x) = e^{ \sqrt{2} i x } or \psi (x) = e^{ikx + \varphi_R + i \varphi_I} = e^{\varphi_R} \cdot e^{i(kx + \varphi_I)} = A(\cos (kx + \varphi_I) + i \sin (kx + \varphi_I)), depending on the desired characteristics of the wave function and the value of the constant -(\frac{2 \pi}{\lambda})^2. It is important to choose the appropriate value for this constant, as it affects the nature of the solution
Megus
one-dimensional Schrodinger's Equation

Hi !
I wonder how to solve one-dimensional Schrodinger's Equation :

[tex] \frac{d^2 \psi (x)}{dx^2}\ = \ -(\frac{2 \pi}{\lambda})^2 \ * \ \psi (x) [/tex]

I've to obtain [tex]\psi (x) [/tex] , when
[tex]-(\frac{2 \pi}{\lambda})^2 [/tex] is known
Can you solve it as an example, when [tex]-(\frac{2 \pi}{\lambda})^2 = 2 [/tex] ? Please...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Based on my rather basic knowledge, making
[tex]
- \left( \frac{2 \pi}{ \lambda} \right)^2 = 2
[/tex]
would make the psi function an exponential function rather than having the wave characteristics you want.The solution would be:
[tex]
\psi(x) = e^{ \sqrt{2} x } .
[/tex]
But you want a periodic wave function. By taking
[tex]
\frac{2 \pi}{\lambda} = \sqrt{2}
[/tex]
(i.e. without the minus sign), the solution would be a wave equation and complex:
[tex]
\psi(x) = e^{ \sqrt{2} i x } .
[/tex]

Last edited:
Megus said:
Hi !
I wonder how to solve one-dimensional Schrodinger's Equation :

[tex] \frac{d^2 \psi (x)}{dx^2}\ = \ -(\frac{2 \pi}{\lambda})^2 \ * \ \psi (x) [/tex]

I've to obtain [tex]\psi (x) [/tex] , when
[tex]-(\frac{2 \pi}{\lambda})^2 [/tex] is known
Can you solve it as an example, when [tex]-(\frac{2 \pi}{\lambda})^2 = 2 [/tex] ? Please...

You shouldn't commit to a specific value of -(π/λ)2. Just define it to be a literal constant, say, -k2. Then your differential equation is:

ψ"+k2ψ=0

Surely you have the solution of that one somewhere!

speeding electron said:
Based on my rather basic knowledge, making
[tex]
- \left( \frac{2 \pi}{ \lambda} \right)^2 = 2
[/tex]
would make the psi function an exponential function rather than having the wave characteristics you want.The solution would be:
[tex]
\psi(x) = e^{ \sqrt{2} x } .
[/tex]

No, an exponential function arises when the first derivative is negatively proportional to the wavefunction itself. The problem here involves the second derivative.

But you want a periodic wave function. By taking

The solution to his equation is indeed sinusoidal, but let's let him work it out. :wink:

In fact [tex]$\frac{{2\pi }}
{\lambda } = k$
[/tex] when k is the wavenumber, so the k^2 substution can be made even without the knowledge of how it helps solve the DE.

heardie said:
In fact [tex]$\frac{{2\pi }}
{\lambda } = k$
[/tex] when k is the wavenumber, so the k^2 substution can be made even without the knowledge of how it helps solve the DE.

Yes, my choice in symbols was not accidental. :wink:

Is it the correct answer ?:
[tex]\psi (x) = e^{ikx + \varphi_R + i \varphi_I} = e^{\varphi_R} \cdot e^{i(kx + \varphi_I)} = A(\cos (kx + \varphi_I) + i \sin (kx + \varphi_I))[/tex]

Megus said:
Is it the correct answer ?:
[tex]\psi (x) = e^{ikx + \varphi_R + i \varphi_I} = e^{\varphi_R} \cdot e^{i(kx + \varphi_I)} = A(\cos (kx + \varphi_I) + i \sin (kx + \varphi_I))[/tex]

Yes, though you might find it more convenient to replace the constants A and φI with A and B as follows:

ψ(x)=Acos(kx)+Bsin(kx),

and applying the boundary conditions from there.

Ok - thanks :biggrin:

What is the One-dimensional Schrodinger Equation?

The One-dimensional Schrodinger Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles in one dimension. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a specific position in space and time.

What is the significance of the One-dimensional Schrodinger Equation?

The One-dimensional Schrodinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It has been crucial in the development of many modern technologies, such as transistors and lasers.

What are the variables in the One-dimensional Schrodinger Equation?

The One-dimensional Schrodinger Equation includes variables such as the wave function, which describes the probability amplitude of a particle at a given position and time, and the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the particle.

How is the One-dimensional Schrodinger Equation solved?

The One-dimensional Schrodinger Equation is solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, perturbation theory, and numerical methods. The exact method used depends on the specific system being studied.

What are some real-life applications of the One-dimensional Schrodinger Equation?

The One-dimensional Schrodinger Equation has many real-life applications, including predicting the behavior of electrons in a semiconductor, understanding the properties of materials in nanotechnology, and studying the energy levels of atoms and molecules. It is also used in quantum computing and in the development of new materials and technologies.