1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One dimensional wave equation

1. Oct 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Reading the very first chapter of Weinberger's First Course in PDEs, I stumbled over the derivation of the tensile force in the horizontal direction. The question was posted already in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/one-dimensional-wave-equation.531397/

And the first answer provides the following solution:
    $$
    T(s,t)\cos\theta = T(s,t)\frac{\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}}{\sqrt{\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\right)^2+\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}\right)^2}}
    \text{.}
    $$

2. Relevant equations
    What leads to the above equation? Why write the the denominator in this form? Isn't it just equal to one?

3. The attempt at a solution
    The slope of the string at the point ##s##is obviously given by ##\tan\theta = \frac{\partial y}{\partial x} = \left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}\right) \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\right)^{-1}##, which, if I understand that correctly, simply translates to ##\frac{\sin\theta}{\cos\theta} =\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}\right) \left(\frac{\partial s}{\partial x}\right)##. Is that part correct so far?

Now, this leads me directly to:
    $$
    T(s,t)\cos\theta = T(s,t) \frac{\sin\theta}{\tan\theta} = T(s,t) \frac{\partial y}{\partial s} \cdot \frac{\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}}{\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}} = T(s,t) \frac{\partial x}{\partial s}
    \text{.}
    $$

Where exactly is the above-mentioned denominator coming from?

I also notice that
    $$
    T(s,t)\cos\theta =T(s,t) \frac{\partial x}{\partial s} = T(s,t) \frac{\partial x}{\sqrt{\left(\partial x\right)^2+\left( \partial y\right)^2}}
    \text{,}
    $$
    where multiplication by ##\partial s## in the numerator and denominator leads to:
    $$
    T(s,t)\cos\theta = T(s,t)\frac{\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}}{\sqrt{\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\right)^2+\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}\right)^2}}
    \text{.}
    $$

But from the definition of cosine and sine we have:
    $$
    \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\right)^2+\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}\right)^2 = \cos^2\theta + \sin^2\theta =1
    \text{,}
    $$
    and thus
    $$
    T(s,t)\cos\theta = T(s,t)\frac{\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}}{\sqrt{\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\right)^2+\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}\right)^2}} = T(s,t) \frac{\partial x}{\partial s}
    \text{.}
    $$

So what's the point of writing the expression in the way the author is doing in the book? I am sure there is something I am missing?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2014 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it's not 1 because the string stretches. As described in the original source, [itex]s[/itex] for a point on the string is the x-coordinate that that point would have had if the string were unstretched, straight, and parallel to the x-axis.

If you have a section of string running from [itex]s=s_1[/itex] to [itex]s=s_2[/itex], then the unstretched length of that section would be

[itex]L = |s_2 - s_1| = \delta s[/itex]

The stretched length would be given by:
    [itex]L' = \sqrt{\delta x^2 + \delta y^2} = \sqrt{\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}^2 + \frac{\partial y}{\partial s}^2} \delta s[/itex]

In general, [itex]L' > L[/itex].

4. Nov 2, 2014 #3
    Thank you for your reply.

So if ##L'## is the stretched length as described by you, then the needed equation above follows immediately. I am, however, still not sure about that ##L'##. Can you explain where your last equation comes from (as shown below; I have added parenthesis where I thought you wanted them)?
    $$
    L' = \sqrt{\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}\right)^2} \delta s
    $$

Are ##\delta x^2## and ##\delta y^2## referring to the non-equilibrium, stretched state of the string? In other words, let ##\delta x'## and ##\delta s'## refer to the stretched state of the string; then:
    $$
    \cos \theta = \frac{\delta x'}{\delta s'}
    $$

Now writing for ##\delta s'##
    $$
    \delta s' = \sqrt{\left(\delta x' \right)^2 + \left(\delta y' \right)^2} \frac{\delta s}{\delta s} = \sqrt{\left(\frac{\partial x'}{\partial s} \right)^2 + \left(\frac{\partial y'}{\partial s} \right)^2} \delta s
    $$

Finally, renaming ##x' \rightarrow x## and ##y' \rightarrow y## I recover your equation.

So is that all there is? Is it essentially just multiplying the RHS by ##\frac{\delta s}{\delta s}##, effectively turning the equation into a differential?

I believe I was most confused about the notation. :)

5. Nov 2, 2014 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can think of it this way: Take the unstretched string and imagine holding it straight and drawing a black mark each millimeter. Then [itex]s[/itex] counts which mark you're talking about. [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] are not me If you have a piece of stretched string, then [itex]s_1[/itex] is the mark on one end, and [itex]s_2[/itex] is the mark on the other end. [itex]x_1[/itex] is the x-position of the first end, [itex]x_2[/itex] is the x-position of the other end. [itex]y_1[/itex] and [itex]y_2[/itex] are the y-positions of the two ends.

string.jpg
    In the above figures, Figure 1 shows an unstretched piece of string, colored red. The unstretched length is [itex]L = 8 mm[/itex]. [itex]s[/itex] runs from [itex]s_1 = 0[/itex] to [itex]s_2 = 8[/itex].Now we stretch the piece of string, so that now the string runs from [itex](x=0, y=4)[/itex] to [itex](x=12, y=-4)[/itex], as shown in Figure 2. [itex]\delta x = 12[/itex], [itex]\delta y = -8[/itex]. That's the change in [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] from one end of the string to the other. The length of the string is now [itex]L' = \sqrt{\delta x^2 + \delta y^2} = \sqrt{12^2 + 8^2} = 14.42 mm[/itex].

An alternative way to calculate the same [itex]L'[/itex] is to use [itex]L' = \sqrt{(\frac{dx}{ds})^2 + (\frac{dy}{ds})^2} \delta s[/itex].

[itex]\frac{dx}{ds} = \frac{12}{8} = 1.5[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{dy}{ds} = 1[/itex]
    [itex]\sqrt{(\frac{dx}{ds})^2 + (\frac{dy}{ds})^2} = 1.802[/itex]
    [itex]L' = 1.802* 8 mm = 14.42 mm[itex]

Note: [itex]s[/itex] is defined so that [itex]\delta s[/itex] doesn't change when you stretch it, but [itex]L'[/itex] does.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted