One equation one unknown

• Thread starter sara_87
  • Start date

Homework Statement

i want to find the value of k in the following equation:
8.7-(0.75/k)=[e^(8k)](11.7-(0.75/k))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know i can use matlab but i dont have matlab and i dont even know how to do it on matlab; does anyone know how to do it on matlab?
is there an alternative method to find k?

thank you

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If you don't have any special tools, write the problem as f(k)=exp(8*k)*(11.7-.75/k)-(8.7-0.75/k). Now you want to find where f(k)=0. Now graph it and look for a zero, or just try different values of k until you find one where f(x) is positive and one where it's negative. E.g. f(0.03)<0 and f(0.04)>0. That means there is a root between 0.03 and 0.04. Try the midpoint k=0.035 and keep refining the interval containing the root until you get enough significant digits for the needs of the problem. This is called 'bisection'.

yes i know that method but it takes too long and i'm lazy.
i just need the answer without the working out so i dont want to take too much time finding the value for k.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
yes i know that method but it takes too long and i'm lazy.
i just need the answer without the working out so i dont want to take too much time finding the value for k.

Well, you should just probably wait until you get to a computer with maple or matlab or whatever. Otherwise, you'll need to do it the long way!

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
There is no simple formula for such a problem. You might be able use the Lambert W function, but I suspect just getting it into the right form for that would be much more work that the graph Dick suggested.

yes but how do i type that into matlab and how do i find k using matlab? what do i type?