1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One equation one unknown

1. Feb 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i want to find the value of k in the following equation:
    8.7-(0.75/k)=[e^(8k)](11.7-(0.75/k))

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i know i can use matlab but i dont have matlab and i dont even know how to do it on matlab; does anyone know how to do it on matlab?
    is there an alternative method to find k?

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you don't have any special tools, write the problem as f(k)=exp(8*k)*(11.7-.75/k)-(8.7-0.75/k). Now you want to find where f(k)=0. Now graph it and look for a zero, or just try different values of k until you find one where f(x) is positive and one where it's negative. E.g. f(0.03)<0 and f(0.04)>0. That means there is a root between 0.03 and 0.04. Try the midpoint k=0.035 and keep refining the interval containing the root until you get enough significant digits for the needs of the problem. This is called 'bisection'.

4. Feb 10, 2008 #3
    yes i know that method but it takes too long and i'm lazy.
    i just need the answer without the working out so i dont want to take too much time finding the value for k.

5. Feb 10, 2008 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, you should just probably wait until you get to a computer with maple or matlab or whatever. Otherwise, you'll need to do it the long way!

6. Feb 10, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is no simple formula for such a problem. You might be able use the Lambert W function, but I suspect just getting it into the right form for that would be much more work that the graph Dick suggested.

7. Feb 11, 2008 #6
    yes but how do i type that into matlab and how do i find k using matlab? what do i type?

8. Feb 11, 2008 #7

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

9. Feb 11, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?