1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One Final Vector Question

1. Aug 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A sailor in a small sailboat sails 2km east, then 3.4 km NE, then an additional distance in an unknown direction. Her final position is 6.68 km directly east of her starting point. Find the magnitude and direction of the third leg of her voyage.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've drawn a diagram, but I honestly don't know where to start to find the third leg of the voyage. This one is really stumping me.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

1. Draw a line from some starting point, A, to the right (East) 2 cm (representing 2 km) long. Call the endpoint B.

2. From B, draw a second line slanting 45 degrees up (NE) 3.4 cm long (representing 3.4 km). Call the endpoint C.

3. Go back to A and draw a line to the right (same as (1)) 6.68 cm long. That line should go right over B and exend 6.68- 2.0= 4.68 cm farther. call the end point D.

4. Draw a line from C to D. That is the "third leg". You should be able to determine its angle and length from the triangel BCD.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?