1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One Last Problem, also related to energy

1. Oct 26, 2003 #1
    Ok, this is the last time I'll bug you for a while, I promise. Actually I have two questions here.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why these answers are wrong. Here's the first question:

A child's pogo stick stores energy in a spring with a force constant of 2.40 104 N/m. At position A (xA = -0.140 m), the spring compression is a maximum and the child is momentarily at rest. At position B (xB = 0), the spring is relaxed and the child is moving upward. At position C , the child is again momentarily at rest at the top of the jump.

This problem has 5 parts, and I've managed to successfully obtain the answer to four of those parts. Here's the trouble:

(d) Determine the value of x for which the kinetic energy of the system is a maximum.

Now some information is imparted in an eariler question here:

(a) Calculate the total energy of the child-stick-Earth system if both gravitational and elastic potential energies are zero for x = 0.

I got the answer to that just fine. I noted that all associated potential energies are 0 for x = 0. Since this problem never mentions nonconservative forces, wouldn't it be safe to assume, due to the concept of conservation of energy, that the kinetic energy of the system is at a maximum when x = 0? I tried that and it did not work.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted