Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One limit and integral

1. Feb 22, 2008 #1
    What do we have to assume of the function f so that following limit is correct,

[tex]
    \lim_{L\to\infty} \int\limits_{-L}^L f(\frac{x}{L}) \frac{\sin(x)}{x} dx = f(0)\int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin(x)}{x} dx = \pi f(0)
    [/tex]

If we first fix the integration domain like this

[tex]
    \lim_{L\to\infty} \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(\frac{x}{L})\frac{\sin(x)}{x} \chi_{[-L,L]}(x)dx
    [/tex]

the problem is that the limit of the integrand is not Lebesgue integrable over [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], so the standard convergence results do not settle this immediately.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2
    I figured out one way to do this, but I had to use one inequality thats correctness is not clear to me. The triangle inequality

[tex]
    |\int dx\; g(x)| \leq \int dx\;|g(x)|
    [/tex]

is not suitable here. This instead,

[tex]
    |\int dx\; f(x)g(x)| \leq \|f\|_{\textrm{sup}} |\int dx\; g(x)|
    [/tex]

becomes useful. But is this correct? I don't know how to prove this. I wouldn't want to do much assumptions about g, but f can be assumed to be as nice as necessary.

4. Mar 4, 2008 #3
    Argh! Not even correct!

[tex]
    g(x) = \cos(x^2)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \int\limits_0^{\infty} \cos(x^2)dx = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{ll}
    1, \quad & \cos(x^2)\geq 0\\
    0,\quad &\cos(x^2) < 0 \\
    \end{array}\right.
    [/tex]

[tex]
    |\int dx\; f(x)g(x)| = \infty > \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}} = \|f\|_{\textrm{sup}} |\int dx\; g(x)|
    [/tex]

hmhmh.... but here f is not integrable itself. It could be that the inequality is true if f's integral exists...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  5. Mar 4, 2008 #4
    Even this is not true. By fixing sufficiently large M, we obtain an integrable [itex]f\chi_{[0,M]}[/itex] such that

[tex]
    |\int dx\; (f\chi_{[0,M]})(x) g(x)| > \|f\chi_{[0,M]}\|_{\textrm{sup}} |\int dx\; g(x)|
    [/tex]

I'm back in the starting point :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?