Why is 3-4x used in derivative problems?

• Thread starter fitz_calc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the chain rule states that if you have a composite function (an "outside function" and an "inside function") the derivative of the composite function is (the derivative of the "outside function", with the "inside function" as its argument) times (the derivative of the "inside function").
fitz_calc
Untitled5645.png

This is an example I found online. I know how to get to this:
Untitled-13.png
, but why is 3-4x brought into the problem? sorry for the newbie questions tonight but my notes from class don't really cover the material very well, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry for late response, server was lagging or something

chain rule, let me type this out ... refresh in like 2 min.

[tex]f(x)=(x-3x^2)^n[/tex] <-example

bring the power down, subtract it by 1, then do a "chain" of the base and take it's derivative

[tex]f'(x)=n(x-3x^2)^{n-1}(x-2\times3x^{2-1})[/tex] <-example

[tex]f(x)=(3x-2x^2)^3[/tex]

[tex]f'(x)=3(3x-2x^2)^2(3-4x)[/tex]

[tex]f'(x)=(9-12x)(3x-2x^2)^2[/tex]

Last edited:
fitz_calc said:
Untitled5645.png

This is an example I found online. I know how to get to this:
Untitled-13.png
, but why is 3-4x brought into the problem? sorry for the newbie questions tonight but my notes from class don't really cover the material very well, thanks.

As rocophysics has shown, it is just the chain rule. The way I learned the chain rule was qualitatively (through words) and it helped me out.

It may seem a little "wordy at first", but it can help if you say it out as you actually do it.

If you have a composite of functions, that is an "outside function" and an "inside function"---->in this case, the cubic function is the "outer" and the quadratic in the parenthesis is the inside----->

then the derivative of the composite function is:
(the derivative of the "outside function", with the "inside function" as its argument) times (the derivative of the "inside function")

...and you can keep on applying this for any number of functions within a composite function. Just keep working from the outside to the inside.

Hope that helps,
Casey

that's a great way Casey, makes a lot of sense too; exactly how i learned logs

rocophysics said:
that's a great way Casey, makes a lot of sense too; exactly how i learned logs

Same here with logs. Sometimes being able to actually say what it is that you are really doing while doing it makes a big difference.

Casey

ok i think I'm getting it. i tried a homework problem:

y=(4+x^4)^5 => u=g(x)=4+x^4 , f(u)=u^5
then f(x)=f(g(x)) => 5u^4 * (4x^3) => 5(4+x^4)^4 * (4x^3)

* a bit of confusion here -- why can't I multiply the 5 by (4+x^4)^4?

I know the answer is 20x^3 (4+x^4)^4 but can't figure out why the 5 isn't distributed in the last step, thanks

b/c it's raised to a power, i don't really know what to say to be more specific, but I'm sure someone else will give you a better answer

though, x^3 is raised to a power as well, it's not the same, lol sorry

i'm not sure either -- i just did another similar problem and sure enough the same method was applied to that solution as well. i'll wait for a response

it's basically algebra

[tex]a^{m} \times a^{n} = a^{m+n}[/tex] same base, add their exponents

[tex](ab)^{m} \times a^{n}[/tex] does not equal [tex](ab)^{m+n}[/tex]

take this

[tex]5 \times (a+b)^2 = 5(a+b)^2[/tex] if you want to multiply through, you'll have to expand

[tex]5(a^2+2ab+b^2) = 5a^2 + 10ab + 5b^2[/tex]

Last edited:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} f(g(x)) = f'(g(x))*g'(x)[/tex]

That's why you get 3-4x

For example [tex]h(x) = sin(x^2)[/tex] find the first derivative

We'd call [tex]f(x) = sin(x)[/tex] and [tex]g(x) = x^2[/tex]

Since [tex]h(x) = f(g(x))[/tex] we just follow the chain rule.

[tex]f'(x) = cos(x)[/tex] and [tex]g'(x) = 2x[/tex]

So we get

[tex] 2x*cos(x^2)[/tex]

Sometimes the chain rule is written in "Leibniz differential" notation, you may have seen it before.

[tex] \frac{df}{dx} = \frac{df}{du} \cdot \frac{du}{dx}[/tex].

In that notation, we have to make a suitable expression for u, and its always the "inside function".

fitz_calc said:
ok i think I'm getting it. i tried a homework problem:

y=(4+x^4)^5 => u=g(x)=4+x^4 , f(u)=u^5
then f(x)=f(g(x)) => 5u^4 * (4x^3) => 5(4+x^4)^4 * (4x^3)

* a bit of confusion here -- why can't I multiply the 5 by (4+x^4)^4?

I know the answer is 20x^3 (4+x^4)^4 but can't figure out why the 5 isn't distributed in the last step, thanks

Well basically to find the derivative its (derivative of original equation) . (power of original equation) . ( original equation)^(power of original equation - 1), in this case derivative of original equation is 4x^3 , power of original equation is 5, (original equation^ power of original equation - 1) is (4+4^4)^(5-1)

Now using what i wrote above the derivative is (4x^3) . (5) . (4+x^4)^4

yay two year old threads

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a given point. It is essentially the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. How is a derivative calculated?

A derivative can be calculated using calculus methods, specifically the limit definition of a derivative. This involves finding the slope of a curve at a point by taking the limit as the distance between two points on the curve approaches zero.

3. What is the purpose of finding higher-order derivatives?

Finding higher-order derivatives, also known as taking the second, third, or nth derivative, can help us understand the curvature and behavior of a function at a given point. It can also be used to solve more complex problems in physics, engineering, and other sciences.

4. Can derivatives be negative?

Yes, derivatives can be negative. A negative derivative indicates that the function is decreasing at that point, while a positive derivative indicates that the function is increasing at that point.

5. How are derivatives used in real life?

Derivatives have many applications in real life, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to model and understand the rates of change, such as velocity, acceleration, and growth rates. They are also used in optimization problems to find maximum or minimum values of a function.