1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One more on vectors

1. Aug 29, 2006 #1
    This problem I'm not sure where to begin so if someone could just give me a hint...

A boat heads directly across a river with a velocity of 12m/s. If the river flows at 6.0m/s find the magnitude and direction (with respect to the shore) if the boat's resultant velocity.

I'm not sure how to find what way the direction is going without some kind of direction that is already given.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try actually drawing the vectors out 'top and tail' method. In this case the resultant force would be the hypotenues of the triangle formed. Therefore, the magnitude of the resultant force would simply be the magnitude or length of the hypotenues and the direction is easily found using trig.

4. Aug 30, 2006 #3
    thanks:) I think that I get this stuff now. I was making it harder than it had to be

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?