Understanding Particle Paths: Curvature, Angle, and Velocity

• Thread starter kate45
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the particle's path in two dimensions is described by its position vector (in metres and time t ∈ [1, 2] seconds) relative to point (0, 0, 0) by r(t) = (2t+1)i + (4−t^2)j. At position r(t∗), the particle's velocity is not perpendicular to r(t∗).
kate45
Really struggling with these particle questions, just can't grasp the concept

A moving particle at time t ∈ [0, 10] (seconds) has position vector in metres from the origin (0, 0, 0) given by the vector function r(t) = (10 − t)i + (t 2 − 10t)j + sin tk.

i. Describe the path of the particle, as seen from above (the positive k-direction), and
also describe it in three dimensions.

ii. Find the curvature of the path, at t = 2π ≈ 6.28 seconds.

iii. Find the angle between the path (at start and end-points) and the k-direction.

And this one

A particle’s path, in two dimensions, is described by its position vector (in metres and
time t ∈ [1, 2] seconds) relative to point (0, 0, 0) by r(t) = (2t + 1)i + (4 − t 2 )j.

i. Sketch the path of the particle.

ii. Find the value of t ∗ at which the particle has greatest distance from (0, 0, 0).
Hint: optimising squared distance may be the simpler method here.

iii. Show that at position r(t ∗ ), the particles velocity is not perpendicular to r(t∗ ).

From a practice exam, for my final this week

Physics news on Phys.org
You've posted two problems with a total of six parts. And you haven't given us any attempt to solve any of them. Read the forum rules. You have to start TRYING to solve one of these.

sorry i have tried.

i have so far

i.
x = 10 - t => t = 10 - x (1)

y = t^2 - 10t (2)
Substitute (1) into (2).
which gives y=(10-x)^2 - 10(10-x) which describes the particles path?

ii. and then i need to substitute 2*pi into the equation (not 100% sure which one though) to find the position

iii. and to find the angle of the path i need to use the dot product but i can't work out which other vector to use to get the dot product.

The second question:

The distance between the particle and the origin |r| and its square |r|^2 will be minimum at the same time t*

|r|^2 = (2t+1)^2+(4-t^2)^2
this then needs to be expanded which i think i am doing wrong

once the expansion is right i need to differentiate the equation?

but part iii. i can't work out how to do

sorry I'm a bit new here, i have definitely tried them just thought i might be on the wrong track

That's a start. Good. Now you'll hopefully get a lot of help. You have y=(10-x)^2-10(10-x). That's the path of the particle viewed from above, in the xy plane. It's a parabola, do you know why? To describe it in 3d you have to use words creatively, it's not any kind of a standard curve. Finding angles of the path and curvature requires calculus. For angles you need to take the dot product of tangent vectors. Can you find the tangent vector to the curve in the first question?

the tangent vector is that r(t) / ||r(t)|| and then substitute in r(0)?

No. The tangent vector is r'(t). The normalized tangent vector is r'(t)/|r'(t)|. Notice the derivatives.

so the derivative of r(t) would be:

r(t) = (10 − t)i + (t 2 − 10t)j + sin tk.

r'(t) = ti + 2tj + (-cos)tk ?

also just to back track a little the 2 * pi gets subbed into y=(10-x)^2 - 10(10-x)?

You need a lot of work on derivatives. Start with the x component. What's the derivative of 10-t? On the backtrack you need to substitute 2pi for t, not x, and you need to substitute it into the 3d form. We haven't even started the curvature question, you'll need a second derivative for that. Can you find a formula? For iii), you should get one vector at t=0 and another at t=10. Use them to find the angles with the k direction.

so pi would be substituted into

r(t) = (10 − t)i + (t 2 − 10t)j + sin tk
giving (10-2*pi) + (2*pi^2 - 10(2*pi))+sin(2*pi)

and would the equation for r'(t) be:
i + 2tj + -cosk?

Don't even try to substitute 2pi into anything until you have at least the tangent right. And you don't. I asked you what is d/dt of (10-t) and you got that one wrong. Next I'll ask you what is d/dt of t^2-10t. What's your guess? Then if you want to practice while I sleep, what is d/dt sin(t). I'll give you a hint. It's NOT -cos(t).

d/dt of 10-t is 1
and the other equation is
d/dt 2t -10

is that right?

giving i + (2t -10)j + cos(t)?

No. Still not. d/dt(10-t) is NOT 1. Try again. The other parts are ok.

is it -1i + (2t-10)j + cos(t)?

Yessss. That's the tangent vector for the curve in the first problem. Can you use that to answer part iii)? What's the angle between that vector and k at t=0 and t=10

so i put 2*pi into that equation and then for part iii:

theta= cos^-1 (u.v/ |u||v|)

with r(t) being u and k being v

The only mention of 2pi is in the curvature question, part ii. The third part says for the start and end points. Since the curve is defined on [0,10], I think the endpoints are t=0 and t=10. Yes, you have the right dot product relation to use.

thanks very much for all your help and patience dick, i think i finally understand it

1. What is a particle?

A particle is a tiny unit of matter that cannot be divided into smaller parts. It can refer to atoms, subatomic particles such as protons and neutrons, or even smaller particles like quarks.

2. How are particles studied?

Particles are studied using various scientific methods and tools, such as particle accelerators, particle detectors, and computational simulations. These methods allow scientists to observe and understand the behavior and properties of particles.

3. What is the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model is a theoretical framework that describes the fundamental particles and forces that make up the universe. It explains the interactions between particles and has been successful in predicting and explaining many observations in particle physics.

4. How do particles contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Particles play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. They make up all the matter we see around us, and their interactions dictate the behavior of the universe at both the smallest and largest scales. Studying particles allows us to understand the fundamental laws of nature and how they govern the universe.

5. Are there any particles yet to be discovered?

Yes, there are still many particles that have not yet been discovered or fully understood. For example, the Higgs boson was only recently discovered in 2012, and there are ongoing efforts to discover other particles, such as dark matter particles. Additionally, there may be particles that exist beyond the Standard Model, which scientists are actively researching and trying to detect.