Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One more reason why I hate American Cars

1. Jun 4, 2009 #1
    Not only are they ugly and break down, they screwed their own dealerships left and right!

Why anyone would every buy an American car again boggles my mind.

The shut down dealerships and ruined those buissness owners lives without a care. Just for that, I'll never, ever buy a GM car as long as I live.

I was listening to CSPAN congressional radio. One dealer was shut down after being around for 80 years and buying cars they didn't need at the request of GM because GM's sales were so bad. The dealership bent over backwards to help GM, and GM screwed them. The dealership even relocated twice at the request of GM.

I was listening to WTOP radio and the interviewed people saying "American car companies need to stop making ugly Junk" and ..."American car companies need to wake up and make reliable cars like Honda or Toyota".

Why are we bailing these car companies out? Just let them die!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2009 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The American Auto Workers Union.

4. Jun 4, 2009 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Please don't blame the UAW for the poor engineering and marketing skills of the Big 3. The workers build what they are told to build. The Big 3 NEEDED the UAW to maintain a stable, trained work-force, and centralize bargaining so that they were able to project labor costs years in advance and avoid piecemeal bargaining shop-by-shop. Whenever union contracts came up for renewal, the auto companies hollered and screamed about the "greedy" unions to demonize them with the American public. Don't buy their propaganda - without collective bargaining and stable long-term labor agreements, the Big 3 would have to have drastically changed their business models.

5. Jun 4, 2009 #4
    I agree too.

I think both Big 3 and its unions need to die.

6. Jun 4, 2009 #5
    Also, I hate Chinese cars as well. Have you seen their latest run of cars? They blatantly stole the design of Bentley and called it the 'geegle'. They also stole Honda, Toyota and others.

China, forever making crap. You should Google a video of their cars under crash test, it's like sitting inside a soda can.

7. Jun 4, 2009 #6
    The woman Senator was from Maine. She was said something like 80%(?) of cars in Maine are from GM, so why is GM closing down all the dealers there.

It's because eventually GM wants to replace the private dealerships with dealerships owned by GM itself, and not by a small business owner.

8. Jun 4, 2009 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Can you link to the program? It was either Olympia Snowe or Susan Collins (both ME-GOP). I know the brothers who own the biggest GM dealerships in central Maine (they are about my age), and they were certainly not effected, apart from the dissolution of Pontiac. In fact, they are currently displaying a bug-ugly Pontiac "sports car" at their Ford dealership next to a Roush Mustang.

9. Jun 4, 2009 #8

russ_watters

What, precisely, were they supposed to do?

10. Jun 4, 2009 #9
    I don't know I was in the car driving. It was CSPAN radio on Tuesday.

11. Jun 4, 2009 #10
    Uh...yeah? That's kinda what they needed to do all along. The UAW is a huge problem for the Big 3 and the reason for a large source of their debt. I personally know people who have made six figures just pushing some buttons in a factory. I'm not kidding. The pensions alone cost billions.

WARNING! This link may cause nausea and upset stomach: http://www.heritage.org/research/economy/wm2162.cfm [Broken]

Toyota and Honda seem to have no problem producing cars with non-union workers. Because of this they can produce a higher quality product for lower cost.

However, all the problems of the Big 3 aren't because of the UAW. The companies are just poorly managed. You can't argue about it. I've worked for several auto suppliers (I live in metro detroit) and at least once a day you heard something that made you just say "WTF!" out loud. So why buy American? Well, not all the cars are bad. There's actually a couple I really like and I think are great cars and would not hesitate buying. I drive a Honda just because I got it from a family member.

Exactly. You can't fix an omlette without breaking some eggs. Tough times call for tough measures.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. Jun 4, 2009 #11

russ_watters

Of course that's true, but building bad cars is only half of the problem: people would still buy them if they were cost competitive, but they aren't, because....
    None of that is true. The cost added to American cars due to the strength of the labor unions is somewhere on the order of $1500 per car. For a $20,000 sedan, that's a hole that is impossible to recover from when trying to compete with foreign cars. And keep in mind: that includes foreign cars made in the US. Toyota doesn't have this problem. Not only are the cars better, but they are cheaper due to their lower labor costs and higher worker productivity.

13. Jun 4, 2009 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Keep in mind that it's only 2 of the big 3 that are getting bailouts. Ford may be struggling, but they're limping along under their own steam and have managed to plan to keep themselves afloat without government bailouts. I see no reason not to let the other two sink. Other manufacturers with cars people actually want to buy can gradually fill in the market and hire on the displaced workers, but the dead weight needs to be cleaned out first to make room.

14. Jun 4, 2009 #13

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

15. Jun 4, 2009 #14

turbo

Gold Member

This is a good point. Remember that when Ford closed its Marysville Ohio plant, they claimed that the workforce was unproductive and the plant was outmoded. Honda bought the plant, re-tooled, hired back most of the work-force, and started producing the Accord. The Accord was the car with the highest percentage of American-made parts, and the highest quality, and quickly became the largest-selling car model (of any manufacturer) in the US. Ford eventually sold more units of the Taurus, but only by selling them to their wholly-owned subsidiary (Ford Leasing) and farming them out to rental fleets.

Make cars that Americans want, and engineer them to last, and you will succeed. The Big 3 never figured on that. They booked on "planned obsolescence" and the tendency for consumers in a healthy economy to trade-in every few years. Wrong.

16. Jun 4, 2009 #15
    I don't have access to their books, so I'm not going to give you an answer. However, did you notice what I said earlier. How the senator was saying how they are doing this so they can go back later and put in GM dealerships owned by GM and not by a private small business that is licensed under the name GM.

17. Jun 4, 2009 #16

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh man, I wanted GM to die so badly. I was hoping it was going to happen soon and then we bail them anyone.

Any company that couldn't sell cars during an economic boom deserves to die, hence GM.

18. Jun 4, 2009 #17

Evo

That makes financial sense, cut out the middle man and cut out the loss of profit for paying someone to sell your cars. It could mean much lower costs for buyers.

19. Jun 4, 2009 #18
    It's also very unethical to shut down peoples dealerships who paid millions of dollars to own them because they can't run their own company and were supported by said dealerships. They should shut down their own damn dealerships. They just vaporized peoples life savings.

20. Jun 4, 2009 #19

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

There was a good article in the Detroit Free Press about John DeLaureian and the book he wrote back in the early '70s. He called it dead nuts on. He knew exactly what was wrong with GM back then.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090604/COL06/906040477/1081/What+would+DeLorean+say? [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  21. Jun 4, 2009 #20

russ_watters

It is certainly bad management that led to this, but I don't see how it can be considered inethical.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook