One of the little idiosyncracies of studying in Europe

In summary, the university rector was recently made a baron by the king during the national holiday. The rector is equivalent to a president or chancellor in other countries.
Kalimaa23
Well I thought that it was funny...

Our rector (you'd call him president or chancelor in the Anglo-Saxon world, anyway, the chief executive of the university) was made a baron last week!

Every year, around the national holiday, the king announces new members of the nobility. This year our dear rector was among them.

I know one thing, I'm not going to adres him as such during the next boad meeting...or maybe just to annoy him :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Dimitri Terryn said:
Our rector (you'd call him president or chancelor...
Since they're usually a pain in the bu++, the name you use is apt. :approve:

More apt than the original latin meaning of "ruler" :biggrin:

1. What are some notable differences between studying in Europe and studying in other parts of the world?

There are several differences that make studying in Europe unique. Some examples include the emphasis on independent learning, the use of the European Credit Transfer System, and the availability of a wide range of languages to study.

2. How does the European Credit Transfer System work?

The European Credit Transfer System, or ECTS, is a system used by universities in Europe to measure and compare academic achievements. It allows for easier credit transfer between different institutions and countries, making it easier for students to study abroad.

3. Are there any language requirements for studying in Europe?

While language requirements may vary depending on the country and program, many universities in Europe offer courses taught in English. However, it may be beneficial for students to have some knowledge of the local language for daily life and cultural immersion.

4. What are some potential challenges of studying in Europe?

Some potential challenges include adapting to a new culture, dealing with homesickness, and adjusting to different teaching styles and academic expectations. However, these challenges can also provide valuable learning experiences and personal growth.

5. How can I make the most out of my study abroad experience in Europe?

To make the most out of your study abroad experience, it is important to keep an open mind, immerse yourself in the local culture, and actively participate in academic and social activities. It can also be helpful to connect with other international students and take advantage of opportunities for travel and exploration.