Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One Of those moments

1. Jul 3, 2007 #1
    when there is enough block ... here is my problem.

a hyperbola having F(-5,0) and D(5,0) and difference of focal radii 6.

We can use |PF - PD|= 6 or PF - PF = [tex]\pm[/tex]6.

I apply the distance formula ..eleminate radicals and simplify.

I get

16X^2 -9y^2=144

Divinding both sides by 144 I get

The hyperbolic equation

(x^2/9)-(y^2/16) = 1

analysing to graph ( herein lie the problems )

First determining the intercepts ..it is easy to see the intercepts on the x axis are 3 and -3 ( verified by makeing y 0 in the above equ.) and that making x 0 we can aslo varify that there arn't any y intercepts (-y^2/16)

( that I understand)

The book goes on to say to determine the extent of the graph

making for y we get y=[tex]\pm[/tex]4/3 [square root] of x^2 -9 and
    x = [tex]\pm[/tex] 3/4 [squre root] of y^2 + 16

y is real if and only if |x| >= 3 thus no part of the graph lies between -3 and 3 ... in the second x is real for all y variables [tex]\Leftarrow[/tex] someone explain that please.

this part is killing me, they said notice that y = [tex]\pm[/tex]4/3 [square root] x^2 - 9 = [tex]\pm[/tex]4/3x [square root] 1-9/x^2 . [tex]\Leftarrow[/tex] I dont get this i'm thinking they factored it and i should be able to see that of course i tried ..but i cant see how . [ block]:confused:

they the go on to say that as the absolute value of x gets larger the square root of 1- 9/x^2 get closer to 1 and therefore |x| gets larger the graphapproaches the lines y [tex]\approx[/tex][tex]\pm[/tex] 4/3x. thus as
    |x| becomes larger the graph approaches the lines y= 4/3x and -3/4x. :grumpy:

Thanks guys
    Orson

p.s sorry for the bad tex

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Solve for x: Adding [itex]y^2/16[/itex] to both sides, [itex]x^2/9= 1+ y^2/16= (1/16)(16+ y^2)[/itex]. Now multiply both sides by 9 to get [itex]x^2= (9/16)(16+ y^2)[/itex]. Finally, take the square root of both sides: [itex]x= \pm (3/4)\sqrt{16+ y^2}[/itex]. Since a square is never negative, [itex]16+ y^2[/itex] is never less than 16 and so [itex]\sqrt{16+ y^2}[/itex] is never less than 4. Then x cannot be between -(3/4)(4)= -3 and (3/4)(4)= 3.

No factoring involved. Solve for y, just as we solved for x above. Adding [itex]y^2/16[/itex] to both sides and subtracting 1 from both sides, we get [itex]y^2/16= x^2/9- 1= (1/9)(x^2- 9)[/itex]. Multiply both sides of the equation by 16 to get [itex]y^2= (16/9)(x^2- 9)[/itex]. Now take the square root of both sides to get [itex]y= \pm (4/3)\sqrt{x^2- 9}[/itex]. Finally, factor that "x2" out of the square root. [itex](x^2- 9)= x^2(1- 9/x^2)[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{x^2}= \pm x[/itex]. We have [itex]y= \pm (4/3)x\sqrt{1- 9/x^2}[/itex].

No need to be grumpy! Yes, for very large x, [itex]9/x^2[/itex] will be very close to 9 (and getting closer as x gets larger) so [itex]\sqrt{1- 9/x^2}[/itex] will be very close to 1 (and getting closer as x gets larger and larger). That means that [itex]y= \pm (4/3)x\sqrt{1- 9/x^2}[/itex] will be very close to [itex]y= \pm (4/3)x[/itex]. The two straight lines, y= (4/3)x and y= (-4/3)x are the "asymptotes" of this hyperbola- the hyperbola gets closer and closer to those straight lines as x gots to plus or minus infinity.

A good way of sketching this hyperbola is: Mark the vertices (-3,0) and (3,0) on the graph. Draw the rectangle with horizontal sides from (-3,4) to (3,4), (-3,-4) to (3,-4) and vertical sides from (-3,-4) to (-3, 4), (3,-4) to (3, 4). How draw the diagonals of that rectangle, extending them as far as you please outside the rectanle. Those are the asymptotes y= (4/3)x and y= (-4/3)x. Finally, starting from (3, 0), draw a smooth curve upward and to the right getting closer and closer to the asymptote y= (4/3)x. Draw a smooth curve starting at (3,0) downward and to the right getting closer and closer to the asymptote y= (-4/3)x. That give you the right half of the hyperbola. Starting from (-3,0) draw a smooth curve upward and to the left getting closer and closer to the asymptote y= (-4/3)x and a smooth curve from (-3,0) to the left and downward getting closer and closer to the asymptote y= (4/3)x. That gives you the left half of the hyperbola.

Suggestion- use "itex" rather than "tex" for things you want in a line with other text. Keep "tex" for formulas on a separate line. Also, put whole formulas in tex, not just individual symbols.

4. Jul 3, 2007 #3
    Thanks hallofIvy great explanation. Yeah the computations were getting caught in the explanation n the book and in my head, that also interseting method for sketching .. i can also plug some appropriate values for x in in the equation for y.

Thanks again

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?