One question on cercular motion

• Thread starter kevinlikesphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation is about a car traveling at 47.0 km/h rounding a curve of radius 2.60 x 10^2 m. The centripetal acceleration of the car is .66 m/s^2. The force that maintains this acceleration is 9014.18 N, 9006.38 N, or 1403.06 N, depending on the equation used. The minimum coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road needs to be .067 in order for the car to safely round the curve.
kevinlikesphysics
just need to know what to do i keep getting different answers

[SFHS99 7.P.44.] A 13750 N car traveling at 47.0 km/h rounds a curve of radius 2.60 102 m.

(a) Find the centripetal acceleration of the car.

.66 m/s sqaured

(b) Find the force that maintains centripetal acceleration.
<this is what i can't get right here is what i got please tell me what to do>

N

those are the answers i got can someone please tell me the right answer and how to get it that's a lot and equation would be nice i have been using

ma = ma(v^2)/R

(c) Find the minimum coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road that will allow the car to round the curve safely

.067 = coef.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you're using has a typo.
It's supposed to be ma = mv2 / R (without that extra a).

a) I got a different answer (R = 102m, if I understood the numbers right?)
b) and c) Could you show what you've tried, and why?

for your question. It seems like you are trying to solve a problem involving circular motion. The first thing you need to do is identify the known values and what you are trying to solve for. In this case, we know the mass of the car (13750 N), the velocity (47.0 km/h), and the radius of the curve (2.60 x 10^2 m). We are trying to find the centripetal acceleration (a) in part (a), the force that maintains centripetal acceleration (F) in part (b), and the minimum coefficient of static friction (μ) in part (c).

To solve for the centripetal acceleration, we can use the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity and r is the radius. Make sure to convert the velocity from km/h to m/s before plugging it into the equation.

a = (47.0 km/h)^2 / (2.60 x 10^2 m) = 4.13 m/s^2

To find the force that maintains centripetal acceleration, we can use the formula F = ma, where m is the mass and a is the centripetal acceleration we just calculated.

F = (13750 N)(4.13 m/s^2) = 56787.5 N

Lastly, to find the minimum coefficient of static friction, we can use the formula μ = v^2/(rg), where v is the velocity, r is the radius, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

μ = (47.0 km/h)^2 / (2.60 x 10^2 m)(9.8 m/s^2) = 0.0667

Therefore, the minimum coefficient of static friction needed for the car to safely round the curve is 0.067.

I hope this helps and clarifies any confusion you may have had. Remember to always identify the known values and what you are trying to solve for, and use the appropriate formulas to solve the problem. Good luck!

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is when an object moves in a circular path around a fixed point. It can be either uniform circular motion, where the object moves at a constant speed, or non-uniform circular motion, where the speed changes at different points along the path.

What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is responsible for changing the direction of the object's velocity. On the other hand, centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act on an object moving in a circular path, pushing it away from the center. It is actually just the inertia of the object trying to keep it moving in a straight line.

How is circular motion related to rotational motion?

Circular motion and rotational motion are closely related as they both involve objects moving around a central axis. In circular motion, the object moves around a fixed point while in rotational motion, the object itself is rotating around its own axis. Additionally, the equations and principles used to describe and analyze these motions are very similar.

What is the role of velocity in circular motion?

Velocity plays a crucial role in circular motion as it is constantly changing in direction in order to keep the object moving in a circular path. The velocity vector is always tangent to the circle at any given point, and its magnitude is equal to the speed of the object.

How does the radius of the circle affect circular motion?

The radius of the circle has a direct impact on circular motion as it determines the magnitude of the centripetal force required to keep the object moving in a circular path. The larger the radius, the lower the required centripetal force and the slower the object can move while maintaining the circular motion.