One side of the brake drum gets more worn-out than the other

• Thread starter marellasunny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brake Drum
In summary, the hand-brakes in cars function using brake drums, which have an hydraulic force applied to them. When the drum rotates, there is a leading-shoe and a trailing-shoe, with the leading shoe wearing out more quickly due to the partial cancellation of forces. Additionally, the 'shoe-factor' is a term used to describe the self-amplifying capacity of brakes and can be useful in racing for understanding the necessary force for effective braking.
marellasunny
I have been trying to understand how the hand-brakes in my car function-and hence I read-up on brake drums and their functioning.

Reasoning that one brake shoe(i.e 1 friction shoe out of a total of 2) always gets worn more than the other: if its a leading-trailing shoe type

In common-usage, brake drums have an hydraulic force applied(see diagram, F_e) and depending on the direction of rotation of the drum,we can have a leading-shoe and a trailing-shoe.

I think the trailing-shoe gets more worn-out than the leading-shoe because there is a partial cancellation of the forces (as explained in the diagram) i.e a de-amplification of the input force.

Is it true in reality? Does one brake-shoe get more worn-out than the other as a theoretical force analysis suggests?

2.Also,can someone provide an insight into the term 'shoe-factor' that most brake engineers use to describe the self-amplification capacity of brakes? How does knowing this value help in racing?

Attachments

• 0900_001.pdf
    40 KB · Views: 307
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, it is true in reality. The leading shoe does tend to wear out more quickly than the trailing shoe because of the partial cancellation of the forces. This is due to the fact that the leading shoe is pushed into the drum by the rotating force of the drum, while the trailing shoe is pulled by the rotating force. Therefore, the leading shoe encounters more friction and therefore wears out faster than the trailing shoe.The 'shoe-factor' is a term that is used to describe the self-amplifying capacity of brakes. It is the ratio of the force applied on the brake pedal to the force exerted at the brake shoes. Knowing this value can be useful in racing, as it is important to understand how much force needs to be applied to the brakes in order to achieve the desired stopping power.

What causes one side of the brake drum to get more worn-out than the other?

There could be several factors that contribute to uneven brake wear. These include uneven weight distribution in the vehicle, improper brake adjustment, and driving habits such as frequent and sudden braking.

Can poor maintenance lead to uneven brake wear?

Yes, poor maintenance can definitely contribute to uneven brake wear. If the brakes are not inspected and serviced regularly, issues such as uneven wear can go unnoticed and become more severe over time.

Is it possible for the brake caliper to be the cause of uneven brake wear?

Yes, a malfunctioning brake caliper can cause one side of the brake drum to wear out faster. A stuck or seized caliper can result in the brake pad on that side remaining in constant contact with the drum, causing excessive wear.

Can environmental factors affect brake wear?

Yes, certain environmental factors such as road conditions and weather can contribute to uneven brake wear. For example, driving on rough or gravel roads can cause more wear on the brakes, and driving in wet or snowy conditions can increase the likelihood of rust and corrosion on the brake components.

How can I prevent one side of the brake drum from getting more worn-out than the other?

Regular maintenance and inspections of the brakes can help prevent uneven wear. It is also important to practice good driving habits, such as avoiding frequent and sudden braking, to reduce strain on the brakes. In addition, making sure the vehicle's weight is evenly distributed can also help prevent uneven brake wear.