Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One side of the brake drum gets more worn-out than the other

1. Aug 21, 2013 #1
    I have been trying to understand how the hand-brakes in my car function-and hence I read-up on brake drums and their functioning.

Reasoning that one brake shoe(i.e 1 friction shoe out of a total of 2) always gets worn more than the other: if its a leading-trailing shoe type

In common-usage, brake drums have an hydraulic force applied(see diagram, F_e) and depending on the direction of rotation of the drum,we can have a leading-shoe and a trailing-shoe.

I think the trailing-shoe gets more worn-out than the leading-shoe because there is a partial cancellation of the forces (as explained in the diagram) i.e a de-amplification of the input force.

Is it true in reality? Does one brake-shoe get more worn-out than the other as a theoretical force analysis suggests?

2.Also,can someone provide an insight into the term 'shoe-factor' that most brake engineers use to describe the self-amplification capacity of brakes? How does knowing this value help in racing?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted