1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One Sided Limit Theorom

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the limit as x->c of f(x) = L if and only if both one sided limits also = L

2. Relevant equations
    Has to be an epsilon delta proof

3. The attempt at a solution
    Being an if and only if, I have to do two cases : If A, then B. and if NOT A, then NOT B, logically.

Case 1:
    Let lim x->c from the left be L, and lim x->c from the right be L.

then if [tex] c - \delta < x < c then |f(x) - L| < \epsilon [/tex]

and if [tex] c < x < c + \delta then |f(x) - L| < \epsilon [/tex]

Case 2:

Let lim x->c from the left = M, and lim x->c from the right = N.

This is all I have really rationalized I am kind of stumped how to do a rigorous proof of this, I.e. I know how to do specific proofs but not a rigorous general proof. \

Can anyone offer any help / a starting point =/ ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2009 #2
    Okay, we have two things to prove: 1) if f(x) goes to L as x goes to c, then both one sided limits also approach L. 2) If both one sided limits go to L for x approaching c, then f(x) goes to L as x goes to c.

For 1) we know that for every positive epsilon, there exists a positive delta such that [tex] |f(x) - L| < \epsilon [/tex] if [tex] |x - c| < \delta [/tex]. We can rewrite [tex] |x-c| < \delta [/tex] as [tex] c - \delta < x < c + \delta [/tex]. Now, say we're examining the right handed limit of f(x) as x->c, then we only look at the interval [tex] x < c + \delta [/tex], right? And with the left handed limits we only look at the interval [tex] c - \delta < x [/tex]. You should be able to prove it now.

2) Look at the delta-interval of both one-sided limits and "put them together".

4. Oct 24, 2009 #3
    Is it possible to continue the solution? I can find the (1).

5. Oct 26, 2009 #4
    For 2), you're going to assume that both one-sided limits exist. So for every positive epsilon, there is a positive delta such that [tex] c - x < \delta \Rightarrow |f(x) - L| < \delta [/tex] and [tex] x - c < \delta \Rightarrow |f(x) - L| [/tex].

Put the two delta inequalities together to get [tex] c - \delta < x < c + \delta \Rightarrow |c - x| < \delta \left [/tex], which we know implies [tex] |f(x) - L| < \epsilon [/tex].

6. Oct 26, 2009 #5
    thnxxx mate.. I found it after a while... have a nice day...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook