Proving the One Sided Limit Theorem: A Rigorous Approach

• Thread starter RPierre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, to prove that the limit of f(x) as x approaches c is L, we must show that both one-sided limits also approach L. This can be done by considering two cases: if the one-sided limits approach L, then the limit of f(x) also approaches L; and if the one-sided limits do not approach L, then the limit of f(x) also does not approach L. This can be proven using the epsilon-delta definition of limits.
RPierre

Homework Statement

Prove that the limit as x->c of f(x) = L if and only if both one sided limits also = L

Homework Equations

Has to be an epsilon delta proof

The Attempt at a Solution

Being an if and only if, I have to do two cases : If A, then B. and if NOT A, then NOT B, logically.

Case 1:
Let lim x->c from the left be L, and lim x->c from the right be L.

then if [tex] c - \delta < x < c then |f(x) - L| < \epsilon [/tex]

and if [tex] c < x < c + \delta then |f(x) - L| < \epsilon [/tex]

Case 2:

Let lim x->c from the left = M, and lim x->c from the right = N.

This is all I have really rationalized I am kind of stumped how to do a rigorous proof of this, I.e. I know how to do specific proofs but not a rigorous general proof. \

Can anyone offer any help / a starting point =/ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, we have two things to prove: 1) if f(x) goes to L as x goes to c, then both one sided limits also approach L. 2) If both one sided limits go to L for x approaching c, then f(x) goes to L as x goes to c.

For 1) we know that for every positive epsilon, there exists a positive delta such that [tex] |f(x) - L| < \epsilon [/tex] if [tex] |x - c| < \delta [/tex]. We can rewrite [tex] |x-c| < \delta [/tex] as [tex] c - \delta < x < c + \delta [/tex]. Now, say we're examining the right handed limit of f(x) as x->c, then we only look at the interval [tex] x < c + \delta [/tex], right? And with the left handed limits we only look at the interval [tex] c - \delta < x [/tex]. You should be able to prove it now.

2) Look at the delta-interval of both one-sided limits and "put them together".

Is it possible to continue the solution? I can find the (1).

For 2), you're going to assume that both one-sided limits exist. So for every positive epsilon, there is a positive delta such that [tex] c - x < \delta \Rightarrow |f(x) - L| < \delta [/tex] and [tex] x - c < \delta \Rightarrow |f(x) - L| [/tex].

Put the two delta inequalities together to get [tex] c - \delta < x < c + \delta \Rightarrow |c - x| < \delta \left [/tex], which we know implies [tex] |f(x) - L| < \epsilon [/tex].

thnxxx mate.. I found it after a while... have a nice day...

What is the One Sided Limit Theorem?

The One Sided Limit Theorem is a mathematical concept that states that the limit of a function can be approached from either the left or the right side and the result will be the same.

How is the One Sided Limit Theorem used in calculus?

The One Sided Limit Theorem is used in calculus to determine the behavior of a function at a specific point. It helps to determine if the function has a finite limit, infinite limit, or no limit at that point.

What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function on one side of a point, either the left side or the right side. A two-sided limit considers the behavior of a function on both sides of a point.

What are some real-life applications of the One Sided Limit Theorem?

The One Sided Limit Theorem has various real-life applications, such as in physics to determine the velocity of an object at a specific point in time, in economics to determine the marginal cost of a product, and in medicine to analyze the rate of change of a patient's health over time.

What are some common misconceptions about the One Sided Limit Theorem?

One common misconception about the One Sided Limit Theorem is that a function must have a limit at a point for the One Sided Limit Theorem to be applicable. However, the theorem can also be used to determine if a function has no limit at a point. Another misconception is that a function must be continuous for the One Sided Limit Theorem to be applicable, but it can also be used for discontinuous functions.