1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One Sided Limits Question

1. Mar 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the answer is limit does not exist but I don't know how to show it mathematically on paper. Is there a way to show this without making a graph?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2007 #2
    Plug in 2. You get a nonzero number over 0, which means dividing a common factor wont help. The graph is asymtotic at x=2. You can show which infinity the function goes to with a sign graph. Find all important numbers (roots, asymtotes) and evaluate the function in between each number. The graph will only change signs possibly at a root or asymtote. By plugging in values close to 2 on either side. You should see that the limit is split and does not exist
  4. Mar 16, 2007 #3
    A quick way to check this is to see how does the numerator behave with x -> 2+ and x -> 2-, i.e.

2^3 + 3*2^2 + 4 = 8. Obviously, if x - > 2+, x^3 + 3x^2 + 4 > 8. Now,

x^3 + 3x^2 + 4 > 8

x^3 + 3x^2 + 4 / x - 2 > 8 / x - 2

Since on the right hand side the limit is + infinity, by the inequality we conclude that the limit on left is also + infinity. Now you can proceed with 2-... it may seem a bit long on paper, but it easily done mentally.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?