Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One sided limits

1. Jan 1, 2008 #1
    heey, i know how to find limits but i cant find limits from the left and from the right
    can someone plzzzzz show me the simplist way to do it
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2008 #2
    you want to find limit when x tends to a
    substitute x with a+h
    now find the directive limit for h tends to 0
    you see that only difference in both limits is the sign of h,value remain same
    so take underconsideration the sign and substitute 0 in function if it is defined for both sides
  4. Jan 1, 2008 #3
    can u give me an example ?
  5. Jan 1, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you can find "limits", then "one-sided limits" should be easy!

Here's one easy example:
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1^+} x^2[/tex]
    Since [itex]x^2[/itex] has a (regular) limit, 1, the two one-sided limits (from the left and right) must be the same:
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1^+} x^2= \lim_{x\rightarrow 1^-} x^2= 1[/tex]

Here's a slightly harder example:
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1^+} f(x)[/tex]
    where f(x)= [itex]x^2[/itex] if x< 1 and if f(x)= x+ 4 if x> 1.
    Of course, [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1^+} f(x)[/itex] depends only on the value of the function for x> 1, this is exactly the same as
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1} x+ 4[/itex]
    which is 5.
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1^+} f(x)= 5[/tex]
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1^-} f(x)= \lim_{x\rightarrow 1} x^2= 1[/tex]
    In this case, since the two "one-sided" limits are different, the "limit" itself does not exist. Typically, you find one-sided limits in order to determine whether the "limit" itself exist and, if so, find the value of the limit. Also, typically, you find the one-sided limit by determining the "limit" for the function giving the value on that side of the point at which you are taking the limit.
  6. Jan 1, 2008 #5
    [tex]x\rightarrow 1[/tex]

find right hand limit ,it is undefined because , if you by making x=1+h
    then you see that root of negative no does not exist but left hand limit does exist and is 0
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?