1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One-Sided Limits

1. Mar 23, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] One-Sided Limits

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've been having problems solving for these one-sided limits.

1.[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\pi^-}\frac{sinx}{1-cosx}[/tex]

2.[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\O^+}xln(x)[/tex]

3.[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}^-}(sec (x)-tan(x))[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved #1 as =0/1 =0

I solved #2 as [tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\O^+}\frac{ln(x)}{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]

=[tex]\frac{\frac{1}{x}}{1}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\frac{1}{0}}{1}[/tex]

=0

I solved #3 as [tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}^-}(sec (x)-tan(x))[/tex]

=[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}^-}(\frac{1}{cosx}-\frac{sinx}{cosx})[/tex]

=[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}^-}(\frac{1-sinx}{cosx})[/tex] and I solved this down to =[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}^-}tan(x)[/tex]

= undefined

I'm missing some steps in these problems. Any help from you is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How did you get 0/1? What is cos([itex]\pi[/itex])?

and why would 1/0 = 0??

Since you used L'Hopital's rule in #2, why not here?
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \frac{\pi^-}{2}} \frac{1- sin(x)}{cos(x)}= \lim_{x\rightarrow \frac{\pi^-}{2}}\frac{-cos(x)}{sin(x)}[/itex]

By the way- don't use "stackrel" in that way.
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \frac{\pi^-}{2}}[/tex]
    is much easier to read than
    [tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}^-}[/tex]

4. Mar 23, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And why would 1/0 be 0?

Since you used L'Hopital's rule in #2, why not here?
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi^-}{2}}\frac{1- sin x}{cos x}= \lim_{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi^-}2}}\frac{cos x}{sin x}[/tex]
    What is that limit?

By the way "stackrel" makes that very hard to read.
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi^-}{2}}[/tex]
    is much better than
    [tex]\stackrel{lim}{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{2}^-}[/tex]
    Click on the LaTex to see the code.

5. Mar 23, 2008 #4
    #1. I should have gotten 0/2 for #1, because cos(pi)=1 and 0/(1-(-1))=0/2
    I thought that 0/(any nymber greater than or less than 0) is equal to 0, but if the fraction was 2/0, there would be an infinite, positive for the limit approaching from the right and negative infinity for numbers approaching from the left?

#2. I reworked through the problem several times and I keep getting (1/0)/1 which is, after going over my notes several times, = to infinity/1 which is = infinity

#3. I got = 0, after following L'Hopital's as you said. I originally -0/1, which would be = 0.

I apologize about the laytex from my previous post. I was unable to check the box for quoting your reply and when I clicked to preview my post on this reply I wasn't seeing any latex images, so I just used the harder to read way of expressing my answers--sorry for not using latex.

EDIT:
    Is this what you were trying to get me to understand? That 1/0 in limits is equal to an infinite answer and that 0/1 in limits is equal to 0?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  6. Mar 23, 2008 #5
    Am I going about the solutions correctly now?

7. Mar 23, 2008 #6
    I found my error on problem #2. It should be equal to 0 after rewriting the form of the limit because it was indeterminant. I got it finalized and came up with 0 for the answer to number 2. Thanks HallsofIvy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?