1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One sided limits

1. Nov 9, 2005 #1
    Hi people,
    could anyone tell me how to prove that the limit as f(x) approaches a from above equals the limit as f(x) approaches a from below? I can't see how to approach this proof, thx

Jack

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2005 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question as you stated it is too vague. In any case if f(x) is discontinuous, it just won't be true.

4. Nov 9, 2005 #3
    Unless you have some sort of piecewise function, I see this as fairly straightfoward. If

(1) [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow{a+}}f(x)=f(a)=\lim_{x\rightarrow{a-}}f(x)[/tex],

then f(x) is continuous at x=a. What is your proof concerning? Continuity, delta-epsilon proofs?

5. Nov 9, 2005 #4
    i'm guessing it's the epsilon-delta stuff.

6. Nov 10, 2005 #5
    That condition is not accurate, consider this function:

[tex]f(x) = \frac{x^2-1}{x-1}[/tex]

The limit above and below f(1) is equal to 2 though it is undefined at that point.

7. Nov 10, 2005 #6
    It's obvious that Jameson meant for f(a) (a = 1 in this case) to exist, seeing as he mentioned that something should be equal to it, and in that case, the condition is accurate.

8. Nov 13, 2005 #7
    I know what he means. He is talking about a function between points (a,f(a)) and (b,f(b)) and he wants to know how to prove the limit at x=a or x=b

From what I remember in Chapter 2, Calculus AB all you need to do is see limit as x->a or b->b from the existent side, and then plug in the value into the function. If it's the same, it's continuous. If it's not, no continuity.

It's like the following:

limit as x->a of f(x)=b
    and f(a)=b

makes a function continuous at point (a,f(a))

right? It's been a good few months.

9. Nov 13, 2005 #8
    Yes, I was stating the conditions for a function being continuous at the point a. However, I was not saying continuity is necessary for a limit to exist. Sorry if I was unclear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?