1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: One solution ODE problem

1. Dec 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given This ODE:

y' = (y-2) (x^2+y)^5
    y(0)=5

A. Show that this problem has one solution that is defined in an open segment that contains 0.

B. Let y(x) be a solution for this problem. Prove that y(x)>2 for every x in I and conclude that y'(x)>0 in I.
    Hint: You can use the solution of the problem: y'=(y-2)(x^2+y)^5 , y(x0)=2

Help is needed !

TNX!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Re: Ode

This is of the form y'= f(x,y). Your f, [itex](y-2)(x^2+ y)^5[/itex], is differentiable in both variables in any region that does not include (0,0) so you can use the "existence and uniqueess" theorem.

Further, since y(0)= 5, [itex]y'(0)= (5-2)(0^2+ 5)^5> 0[/itex] and [itex]y'(x)= 0[/itex] only where y= 2 or [itex]y= -x^2[/itex]. The latter is impossible so any max or min must be at y= 2. Since the initial value is 5, the derivative is positive there, and can become negative only at y= 2, the function is always larger than 2.

4. Dec 30, 2009 #3
    Re: Ode

Hey there HallsofIvy,
    There are some things I didn't understand in your answer:
    The initial value is 5 indeed. and from y=5 the function goes up. But how can we know what happened before y=5? Maybe there was a point that was less then y=2? There can be an inflection point in y=2, and then there are values less than y=2...

How can we solve it?

TNX in advance!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook