1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One task in linear algebra

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    A is a square matrix n*n with the following properties: A*A=A and A not equal I (identity matrix).
    How to prove the following equation:
    (I+A)^-1=I+A/2 ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can't. It's not true:
    (I+ A)(I+ A/2)= I+ A+ A/2+ A^2/2= I+ A+ A/2+ A/2= I+ 2A, not I.

If you mean (I+ A)/2,
    (I+ A)(I+ A)/2= (I+ A+ A+ A^2)/2= (I+ 3A)/2.

I thought perhaps you had left out a "-" but that doesn't see to work either so I have no idea what you are trying to prove.

4. Sep 26, 2012 #3
    I mean with this (I+A)^-1, inverse of the matrix (I + A).
    You have understood correctly.
    As I tried to solve the problem I came to the same answer.
    Perhaps there is a technical error, but I'm not sure.
    Thanks for answer.

5. Sep 26, 2012 #4
    Hi isa_vita, maybe this is coming from language issues, or maybe there is an error in the exercise you want to do, could you post the text as it comes ? (translated) ?
    you equation does have a solution: A=0 works, but you would say 'solve' instead of 'prove', so maybe you didn't word it correctly (but it sounds fishy, this would be a weird exercise anyway), so, anyway, do you have the full text of the exercise ?
    Cheers...

6. Sep 26, 2012 #5
    Hi oli4e, my mistake, I mean prove not solve. I gave full text of the exercise(in my translation :)).
    I know for a zero solution, but it isn't the task. I think it is right HallsofIvy. It is a technical error.
    Thanks for a help. Cheers...

7. Sep 26, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I still don't understand what you are asking. Given that [itex]A^2= A[/itex], it does NOT follow that I+ A/2 is the inverse of I+ A.

8. Sep 28, 2012 #7

chiro

Science Advisor

Assuming that the inverse even exists why not just multiply both sides by (I + A) and collect terms? (Remember I'm assuming that the inverse of this exists which it may not, since I haven't checked it).

9. Sep 28, 2012 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's exactly what I did- and did NOT get the identity matrix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook