Can (I+A)^-1 be simplified to I+A/2 in linear algebra?

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of a square matrix A and the equation (I+A)^-1=I+A/2, with one person attempting to prove it and another pointing out that it is not true. The original poster clarifies that they meant to use the inverse of the matrix (I+A) and not solve for A. The conversation ends with a suggestion to multiply both sides by (I+A) and collect terms, but this does not result in the identity matrix. It is concluded that there may be a technical error in the equation.
isa_vita
A is a square matrix n*n with the following properties: A*A=A and A not equal I (identity matrix).
How to prove the following equation:
(I+A)^-1=I+A/2 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't. It's not true:
(I+ A)(I+ A/2)= I+ A+ A/2+ A^2/2= I+ A+ A/2+ A/2= I+ 2A, not I.

If you mean (I+ A)/2,
(I+ A)(I+ A)/2= (I+ A+ A+ A^2)/2= (I+ 3A)/2.

I thought perhaps you had left out a "-" but that doesn't see to work either so I have no idea what you are trying to prove.

I mean with this (I+A)^-1, inverse of the matrix (I + A).
You have understood correctly.
As I tried to solve the problem I came to the same answer.
Perhaps there is a technical error, but I'm not sure.
Thanks for answer.

Hi isa_vita, maybe this is coming from language issues, or maybe there is an error in the exercise you want to do, could you post the text as it comes ? (translated) ?
you equation does have a solution: A=0 works, but you would say 'solve' instead of 'prove', so maybe you didn't word it correctly (but it sounds fishy, this would be a weird exercise anyway), so, anyway, do you have the full text of the exercise ?
Cheers...

Hi oli4e, my mistake, I mean prove not solve. I gave full text of the exercise(in my translation :)).
I know for a zero solution, but it isn't the task. I think it is right HallsofIvy. It is a technical error.
Thanks for a help. Cheers...

I still don't understand what you are asking. Given that [itex]A^2= A[/itex], it does NOT follow that I+ A/2 is the inverse of I+ A.

Assuming that the inverse even exists why not just multiply both sides by (I + A) and collect terms? (Remember I'm assuming that the inverse of this exists which it may not, since I haven't checked it).

chiro said:
Assuming that the inverse even exists why not just multiply both sides by (I + A) and collect terms? (Remember I'm assuming that the inverse of this exists which it may not, since I haven't checked it).
That's exactly what I did- and did NOT get the identity matrix.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vectors, matrices, and linear transformations. It involves solving equations and manipulating mathematical objects to understand and solve problems related to linear systems.

2. What is the importance of linear algebra in science?

Linear algebra is a fundamental tool used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It helps in solving complex problems involving multiple variables and has applications in areas like data analysis, machine learning, and computer graphics.

3. What are the basic concepts in linear algebra?

The basic concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, determinants, and systems of linear equations. These concepts form the building blocks for more advanced topics in linear algebra.

4. How is linear algebra used in data analysis?

Linear algebra is used in data analysis to manipulate and analyze large datasets. Matrices and vectors are used to represent and store data, while operations like matrix multiplication and eigenvalue decomposition are used to perform computations and extract valuable insights from the data.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has numerous real-world applications, such as image and signal processing, robotics, computer graphics, cryptography, and optimization problems. It is also used in fields like physics, statistics, and economics to model and solve various problems.