1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One thing I've noticed in this/these forum/s

1. Feb 13, 2005 #1
    ...and that is that, all the people "jump" to answer all the general and trivial questions but no one gives a damn about more complex stuff.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2005 #2

I highly doubt that "no one gives a damn about more complex stuff." Perhaps people just might not know the answer? :wink:
  4. Feb 13, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a mixture of both reasons:don't care (as in noninterested) or don't know (in the case when interested).
    In the case of the difficult questions,it's (almost) never a matter of "i don't care"...

5. Feb 13, 2005 #4
    ive noticed that too. when i ask a question i always get the same bull crap i get from my textbook.
    when i ask a question i want to be pointed in the right direction and i wish people would just say it instead of skipping around it. i know they know how to do it, i wish they would just tell me.
    for example, ive put 3 problems on here the past two days and nobody has helped me one bit with any of them. i always get cryptic responses that i have to try to decipher that make a hard subject even more confusing.
  6. Feb 13, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I find this attitude quite disturbing...And nonsensical.You're asking as in begging for help.U should not complain about the "quality" of the answers you may get.After all,nobody is asked to give you the perfect answer and i think that it's still your duty of picking the most clear/satisfactory one...

As for "bull crap",i totally think you should take a more humble attitude...

7. Feb 13, 2005 #6
    well, when i say bull crap i mean i get told the general form of how to do something. i already know the general form, i can get that from my text book.
    i am already frustrated enough with the problems i post on here, i just want to be helped out. i come here because this is the only place i know of that i can get help for this stuff. and if somebody is going to choose to respond to one of my threads at least they can give me a suitable answer. i dont think thats too much to ask for. nobody has to help me, but if they are going to respond something that will help me out would be appreciated.
  8. Feb 13, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. The problems you are working on are not "super complicated", so your case is not a typical example of what the original poster was talking about.

2. Don't expect people here to do your homework for you. The answers are not meant to be 'cryptic'. If they give you hints, they are constructive hints designed to help you arrive at the correct answer on your own. You do want to LEARN something in school, don't you?

3. The stuff in the textbook is not "bullcrap", and if you are asking questions about material that can be found in your textbook why ask the questions in the first place?

4. Your statement that nobody has tried to help you is rather ungrateful considering that I tried to help you in your electromagnetics thread, and just five seconds ago posted a very long winded derivation of how to find a unit vector normal to a plane in three space which, incidentally, I looked up in my textbook for you, because I felt I needed to review it myself and we would both learn something if I posted the derivation. However, I could just as easily have said "meh, I can't be bothered to relearn it right now. I'll just review it on my own time later. He has a textbook, surely." So, the point is that when people help you out here, it is generally out of kindness, they are under no obligation to do so.

Have a nice day. :smile:
  9. Feb 13, 2005 #8
    im sorry if i appear unappreciative for the help, i know nobody has to help.
    im just horrible with physics in general, and i honestly do try to do this stuff on my own. im just really frustrated with it. because like i said in my other thread i worked on the problems for 8 hours yesterday and ive put it another 3 today. i realize that most of you guys could do this stuff in like 30 mins flat, but i am really struggling with it.

give me a analog or digital circuits problem, anything but vectors!

but honestly, thank you for your help. your post in the other thread was all i needed.
  10. Feb 13, 2005 #9
    People who start complaining about the quality of the responses they get, i think thats kinda messed up. If you're asking questions on this forum you're looking for any kind of help, and the people who take time to answer the questions are trying to help. This isnt a place to ask a question and Wala....the answer is there. Its here to get you started on the problem, and solve it yourself. One thing ive complained about is that sometimes it takes a while to get help, but hey....im sure no one sits there in front of their computer waiting for someone to ask a question. So yeah...you should be thankful that you have this kind of help available..i know i am.
  11. Feb 13, 2005 #10
    i admit, i was in the wrong. i was just really frustrated with the stuff. no excuses though. i was wrong and im sorry. any help is appreciated.
  12. Feb 14, 2005 #11
    I agree not all of the hardest problems posted are necessarily addressed. On the other hand Logicalman, I agree with dextercioby in part and the other part may be you dare people to do the problems and do not show your work. Many people here I am sure are not intimately familiar with first or second semester circuit theory. However if you posted your method and your work many on these boards, not being having worked an op-amp problem in some time, would still be able to point you in the right direction. Not everyone here has studying electrical engineering(I assume this is where you are getting these problems) and don't know off the top of there head what the definition of an astable mutivibrator Op-amp, or closed/open loop gain of an op-amp is. These same people probably don't have the time to go look up this definitions on a dare from someone on a help forum.

They are helpful and generous with their time from what I have seen. They are not here to solve your problems. Most of they have their own more challenging problems to solve. They do seem to enjoy helping others learn and they know they will not accomplish this by handing out answers.
  13. Feb 14, 2005 #12
    I'm reluctant to post help on topics i'm not totally sure about, unfortunatly, this includes most topics :(
  14. Feb 20, 2005 #13
    From now on, after they read your comment, people might even be more reluctant to reply.

Come on, they are doing this for free and what they got is this? It's not like you're paying them. Even a prof often says things you don't get in class and you pay them like what, $500 a semester, at least?

Why can you just appreciate what they're doing? These people are so so kind in the very first place. They don't have to do this. They could have spent their time on something else, but they didn't.

You criticize others for not being direct enough, not helpful enough. I'm wondering if you're still going to be here next year helping others out like you've been helped. Will you just give them the answers out? Or will you even bother to help other kids at all with their junior physics questions?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?