1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One to one function

1. Jun 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A function from the real numbers to the real numbers is one to one on an interval I if it is strictly increasing on that interval.

Any help please!!!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not quite sure how to prove it, I know that the use of strictly increasing is important as far as if x1 < x2, then f(x1) < f(x2). A hint I was told to use is contradiction.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2010 #2
    If you would like to prove it by contradiction, assume there is such a time that f(x) = f(y) where x is not y. Then either x < y or y < x. Now use the strictly increasing property of the function.

4. Jun 9, 2010 #3
    To prove it by contradiction, negate the definition of one-to-one. Suppose that there are distinct points, a and b, in I, such that f(a) = f(b). You know that either a < b or b < a, right?

5. Jun 9, 2010 #4
    Great :smile:

6. Jun 9, 2010 #5
    Okay so:

Assume that f(x1) = f(x2), but x1 does not equal x2, then either x1 < x2 or x2 < x1, since it is strictly increasing, this implies that f(x1) < f(x2) or f(x2) < f(x1), so f(x1) can never equal f(x2), therefore the function must be one to one.

Is this what you are saying?

7. Jun 9, 2010 #6
    Yes, that is the right idea.

For clarity, instead of saying "f(x1) can never equal f(x2)", just state that "f(x1) < f(x2) or f(x2) < f(x1)" is a contradiction with the fact that f(x1) = f(x2) and thus the function is one-to-one.

8. Jun 9, 2010 #7
    Alright, thank you SO much for your help!

9. Jun 9, 2010 #8
    Great, glad I could help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook