1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One to one functions

1. Sep 18, 2009 #1
    Problem:
    Let A, V, and C be any nonempty sets. Prove or disprove the following:
    [tex]|A \times C| \leq |(A \times B) \times C|[/tex]

Proof:
    Fix b [tex]\in[/tex] B.
    Set f(a,c) = ((a,b),c) for a [tex]\in[/tex] A and c [tex]\in[/tex] C.
    Now suppose [tex]f(a_{1}, c_{1}) = f(a_{2}, c_{2})[/tex].
    Thus, [tex]f(a_{1}, c_{1}) = ((a_{1}, b), c_{1}) = ((a_{2}, b), c_{2}) = f(a_{2}, c_{2})[/tex]
    Thus, [tex](a_{1}, c_{1}) = (a_{2}, c_{2})[/tex] since the corresponding ordered triples are equal.
    Thus, [tex](a_{1}) = (a_{2}),[/tex] and [tex](c_{1}) = (c_{2}),[/tex] since the ordered pairs above are equal.
    Thus, f is one to one.
    Finally, [tex]|A \times C| \leq |(A \times B) \times C|,[/tex] (by definition of one to one functions).

Questions:
    I understand this proof and why b[tex]\in[/tex]B is fixed, but to prove [tex]|A \times C| \leq |(A \times B) \times C|,[/tex] it is not necessary to state to fix b. Since b can be any value in the triple order, it doesn't have to be fixed, in fact it can hold any value from the set B and still fulfill the condition: [tex]|A \times C| \leq |(A \times B) \times C|[/tex]. If what I am saying is true, is there an easy modification of the proof above? Personally I think by fixing b, we are limiting the scope of the proof.

Thanks,

JL

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to fix b only so you can define your function properly. You're right, the function could be any

f: (a,c) -> (a,g(a,c),c)

where g is any function that maps (a,c) to B. But why bother saying that mouthful when you can just say "fix b"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook