R2 Homework: One-to-One & Range of f

• Thread starter linearfish
  • Start date
For (3), you could also mention that since the range of f is R2\{0,0}, there must be at least one point in R2 that maps to (0,0) (since the origin is not in the range). Therefore, f cannot be one-to-one on R2.
linearfish

Homework Statement

Let f = (f1,f2) be the mapping of R2 into R2 given by f1=excos(y), f2=exsin(y).
(1) What is the range of f?
(2) Show that every point of R2 has a neighborhood in which f is one-to-one.
(3) Show that f is not one-to-one on R2.

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) Since ex is nonzero and cos and sin cannot be 0 at the same time, then the origin is not in the range, so the range is R2\{0,0}.

(2) Calculating the Jacobian we get:
J = e2xcos2y + e2xsin2y= e2x, which is nonzero, so every point has a neighborhood in which f is one-to-one.

(3) This is where I'm really stuck. I assume we need to find a point that is mapped by two different ordered pairs but I don't know how to go about finding those points.

Any help on #3 or comments on the previous parts is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about [itex]y_2= y_1+ 2\pi[/itex].

Oh, duh. I guess it didn't occur to me to hold x constant, so the points (0,pi) and (0,3*pi) both map to (-1,0), hence f is not one-to-one. Thanks.

Does the rest look okay?

(1) and (2) looks fine to me.

1. What does one-to-one mean in relation to functions?

One-to-one means that each input (x-value) has a unique output (y-value). In other words, no two different inputs can have the same output. This is also known as a function being injective.

2. How can I determine if a function is one-to-one?

A function is one-to-one if and only if every horizontal line intersects the graph at most once. In other words, if any two points have the same y-value, then they must have the same x-value. This can also be tested by using the horizontal line test.

3. What is the range of a function?

The range of a function is the set of all possible output values (y-values) that the function can produce. In other words, it is the set of all y-values that correspond to the given x-values in the function.

4. How can I find the range of a function?

To find the range of a function, you can either graph the function and look at the y-values, or you can substitute different x-values into the function and observe the corresponding y-values. Another method is to analyze the domain and determine if there are any restrictions on the outputs.

5. Can a function have a range that is smaller than its domain?

Yes, a function can have a range that is smaller than its domain. This means that there are input values (x-values) that do not have corresponding output values (y-values). This can occur when there are restrictions on the outputs, such as a horizontal asymptote or a restricted domain.