1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One-to-One Intervals

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to do problem #5 on this worksheet
    http://ugnotesonline.com/attachments/008_t1.5pst.pdf [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    (a) I tried to take the derivitive of the function in the intergral so I could see where it was increasing and decreasing and prove that it was one-to-one but that didn't work.

(b) I don't even know what this part is trying to ask.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2
    Try again and show us your work because that is as far as I can see the easiest approach. Remember that if f is everywhere differentiable and the derivative is strictly positive, then the function is strictly increasing.

For b, the notation [itex]f^{-1}(x)[/itex] denotes the inverse function. That is the function such that
    [tex]f^{-1}(f(x)) = f(f^{-1}(x)) = x[/tex]
    for all x. (its existence is guaranteed by part a). To solve this part use the chain rule as follows:
    [tex]\frac{d(f \circ f^{-1})(x)}{df^{-1}} \times \frac{df^{-1}(x)}{dx} = \frac{d(f^{-1} \circ f)(x)}{dx}[/tex]
    You should be able to evaluate everything here except [tex]\frac{df^{-1}(x)}{dx}[/tex] so you can solve the problem.

[tex]\frac{d(f \circ f^{-1})(x)}{df^{-1}} = \frac{df(x)}{dx}[/tex]

Also in case you didn't know [tex]g|_{x=0}[/tex] just means g(0), so in b you're just asked to evaluate the derivate at 0.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook