One Tough Duck

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Neither gunfire nor two days in a refrigerator could slay this duck.

When the wife of the hunter who shot it opened the refrigerator door, the duck lifted its head, giving her a scare. [continued]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16725051/

Answers and Replies

Rach3
How cute, they torture little birds to death!

:grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

Vhy a duck?

KM

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Don't worry Rach, they saved the little guy.

Kenneth, duck hunting is still quite popular. I shot quite a few before giving up killing as a sport.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Make a note not to eat anything that guy has shot if he just stuck the whole thing in the fridge for 2 days. It wouldn't have still been alive if he had gutted it when he shot it.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was wondering about that. We always cleaned ours as soon as we got home. We skinned the rabbits on-site.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The part I always hated was when you had to kill them [ducks] by hand by wringing their necks.

I finally figured out why deer hunting is considered such a macho sport: It's not the tracking and shooting of the deer that is impressive, it is the fact that one carries it out sometimes through miles of rugged terrain. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The part I always hated was when you had to kill them [ducks] by hand by wringing their necks.
It seems gruesome, but it's an incredibly quick death (and painless, since they end up paralyzed below the neck instantaneously if you do it right).

I finally figured out why deer hunting is considered such a macho sport: It's not the tracking and shooting of the deer that is impressive, it is the fact that one carries it out sometimes through miles of rugged terrain. :biggrin:
The guys around here who hunt say that's what they have kids for. :biggrin: They go out hunting and when they shoot something, call the wife and kids to come out to help drag it out of the woods. Yep, real macho. :rofl:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It seems gruesome, but it's an incredibly quick death (and painless, since they end
The other thing is not to swing too hard. :surprised

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The other thing is not to swing too hard. :surprised
But you don't have any doubt they're dead then. :yuck:

Rach3
Hunting is one thing, but it's quite another when an idiot doesn't do it right and leaves a live bird in a fridge for two days. Incompetent idiot, and very cruel as well.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hunting is one thing, but it's quite another when an idiot doesn't do it right and leaves a live bird in a fridge for two days. Incompetent idiot, and very cruel as well.
Heck, for a duck the fridge isn't cold, and he had all that he could eat. :uhh:

Last edited:
I was wondering about that. We always cleaned ours as soon as we got home. We skinned the rabbits on-site.
That was the first thing that struck me: you always want to gut them ASAP. Imagine a pellet tore open the gut internally. The duck would have marinated for two days in it's own offal. That would be fairly vile.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The guys around here who hunt say that's what they have kids for. :biggrin: They go out hunting and when they shoot something, call the wife and kids to come out to help drag it out of the woods. Yep, real macho. :rofl:
I can just imagine Tsu's reaction if I called and asked her to help drag a dead deer out of the woods. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: It's more likely that she'd shoot me and give the deer a proper burial.