1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One trigonometric integral

1. Apr 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This problem is solved in my book however I dont totally understand it.

find the integral of sin^2 (x)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution[/

the integral of sin^2 (x) = integral of (1-cos2x)/2 dx

= (1/2)x -(1/4)sin2x + C

I dont understand the las step basically how did the integra of (1-cos2x)/2 was changed into 2 integrals?

Was it done this way (1-cos2x)/2 = 1/2 (-cos2x) ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2010 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Actually, your last step is wrong... if you factor out the one half, you get this.

[tex]\int sin^2(x) dx = \int \frac{1-cos(2x)}{2} dx = \int \frac{1}{2} - \frac{cos(2x)}{2} dx[/tex]

Which is solvable. Basically, your quote above...

Should be...

See the difference?

4. Apr 23, 2010 #3
    You actually could have just factored out the 1/2 like this:
    [tex]\int sin^2(x) dx = \int \frac{1-cos(2x)}{2} dx =-\frac{1}{2} \int{cos(2x)} dx[/tex]

It simplifies the integral.

5. Apr 23, 2010 #4

so it is the integral of 1/2 - (cos2x)/2

Now how can I find the integral of - (cos2x)/2 ?

I have been trying to solve that by parts but I had to solve for more than 4 integrals.
    I choosed u= cos 2x dv = 1/2 dx du -sin2x dx v = 1/2 x

6. Apr 23, 2010 #5
    He made a mistake, he added an additional 1/2 into the integral. The simplified integral is just cos(2x).

7. Apr 23, 2010 #6
    :redface:

I made a little mistake my self.

It should be, [
    [tex]\int sin^2(x) dx = \int \frac{1-cos(2x)}{2} dx =-\frac{1}{2} \int\frac{1}{2}-{cos(2x)} dx [/tex]

The 1/2 couldn't have been factored out like that, I though it was multiplication. Sorry, if I mess you up.

Now that we have that established, the integral can be done like this.

[tex]\int\frac{1}{2} dx-\int{cos(2x)} dx [/tex]

8. Apr 23, 2010 #7
    No problem, im trying to solve for cos2x but I think im doing something wrong the integrals that I solved gave me a messier problem.

Im doing u = cos2x dv = dx du = -2sen2x v=x

the result of that was x cos2x + the integrl of 2x sen2x and the result becomes messier when I try to solve for that. what am I doing wrong?

9. Apr 23, 2010 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Stratosphere still doesn't have it right. There is a factor of 1/2 in front of the second integral. And to integrate cos(2x) just do the u-substitution u=2x. No need for parts.

10. Apr 23, 2010 #9
    so it would be (1 - cos2x)/2 = 1/2 - (1/2) cos2x

Thanks a lot...

11. Apr 23, 2010 #10
    I did it out myself and I got the right answer. I didn't tell him that he had to add a constant of tow into the second integral and then balance it out with a 1/2 in front of it. I though he was suppose to solve it.

12. Apr 23, 2010 #11

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Um, Stratosphere, I really did have the right answer the whole time... The integral you showed had [tex]\int cos(2x) dx[/tex] with no coefficient of 1/2 in front of it. This isn't so. That coefficient needs to be there. If you multiply the inside integral by two, you need to divide the outside by two... To get a coefficient of 1/4 outside of the u-subbed integral.

I know my multiplication rules, and the distributive property needs to be applied. Both integrals are multiplied by 1/2.

13. Apr 23, 2010 #12
    Well, either way, I got the right answer my self, I don;'t really know how to explain it though.

And sorry about that, I make little stupid mistakes, (it was right when I woke up).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook