Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One way plug key

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1
    What is one way plug key?I know direct question should not be asked instead we should show some efforts,but seriously i googled it but didn't find anything.In my textbook there is no definition or anything about it ,that's why my teacher also doesn't explain it.But i really want to know.Please forgive me for not showing any effort ,but trust me i have really searched it then only came here.Here is the image of it.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1b9mmXgh6_41HE1YESvO2hVI9ZwhQQqrAnWoWpIYXHKwIsjc_.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2015 #2

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I had to google with quotes: "plug key" "one way"
    I'm not sure I've ever seen such devices, but it appears to simply be a switch.
    Plug keys of the "one way" thru "four way" styles: http://www.tdmodelsindia.com/php/physics/physics27.php
    I also can't find a description of how they work, but looking at the devices, and the schematic symbol -( O )- , I think I know how they work.
    I'm also guessing that they are used only in classrooms and/or labs, as they don't strike me as practical in the real world.

4. Jan 22, 2015 #3
    Ok can you pleas tell me positive and negative terminal of this one way plug key.

5. Jan 22, 2015 #4

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Switches don't have positive and negative terminals.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everstart-936W-Everstart-SWAN-Terminal-Disconnect/16006670 [Broken], apparently.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Jan 22, 2015 #5
    Ok kindly have a look at this video at time 2:00

7. Jan 22, 2015 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For a battery terminal disconnect switch like the one in the Walmart link, I'm pretty sure the proper way to connect it is to the "hot" (or positive) terminal on the battery (assuming that the negative terminal is grounded). Although the switch would work if attached to either terminal, the recommended way to wire switches of any kind is to insert them in the hot lead to the component.

8. Jan 22, 2015 #7

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ha!

As I said, I'm guessing these are only used in classrooms. They may mark them as (+) and (-), for the very newest of students. google google google
    I can find no evidence on google images that they do this.

With the exception of a 3-D graphics design studio:
    pf.2015.01.22.1045.polarized.plug.key.jpg http://www.it.iitb.ac.in/anides/3d_anim.html [Broken]

But I wouldn't trust them.

I actually went back and looked at the advertisement, and it said the switch would fit on either terminal. Though I'd not recommend putting the "green" marked disconnect on the positive terminal.

Anecdotal, lesson to be learned side note: My friend toasted $1000 worth of electronic gadgetry in his outboard motor last year by hooking up his battery backwards.

9. Jan 22, 2015 #8

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

10. Jan 22, 2015 #9
    On the page you have suggested me it is written it is 'Used for making or breaking the electrical circuits'can you please explain how?In the image below as per position of key whether current will flow or not in a circuit?I mean if any circuit having key in the position or condition as in image below will have current or not?
    upload_2015-1-23_1-30-1.jpeg

11. Jan 22, 2015 #10

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The key in this position will have current.

12. Jan 22, 2015 #11
    phy_1258.jpg
    In this position the circuit will not have current,right?
    Which way should we rotate it to have current,anticlock or clockwise?or both will work?

13. Jan 22, 2015 #12

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

In this position of the key in your image, the circuit will have current.
    The key is not rotated. The key is removed, in an upward direction, to open the circuit.

14. Jan 22, 2015 #13
    Can you please give me any image (as i have been giving )which will allow no current?

15. Jan 22, 2015 #14

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

outfile.jpg

16. Jan 22, 2015 #15
  17. Jan 22, 2015 #16
    Can you please explain in meter bridge experiment to prove Resistance in series=R1+R2
    and Resistance in parallel =1/R1+1/R2
    how much resistance should be removed from resistance box?

18. Jan 23, 2015 #17
    What is the meter bridge experiment? Im assuming "meter bridge" refers to a Wheatstone bridge.

19. Jan 23, 2015 #18
    Yes.

20. Jan 23, 2015 #19
    Just wanted to chime in here... Stephen, kudos to you for being so helpful as to take the time to draw the sketch!

Also, gracy, this appears to be homework related... If it's not directly a homework problem and more of a curiosity type of thing, then this forum is fine... However, if it is homework, a better place would be to post it in the homework help sections of the forums... best wishes in whatever the reason is for your inquiry!

https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/homework-and-coursework-questions.152/

21. Jan 24, 2015 #20

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook