Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One wish.

1. Aug 18, 2011 #1
    If you were asked for one true wish. What would be your answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2011 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

For the last few weeks, ithas been to rewind time so that Anders Behring Breivik was spontaneously aborted from his mother's womb.

4. Aug 18, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

To have no desires and wishes ever again.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  5. Aug 18, 2011 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Awesome answer.

6. Aug 18, 2011 #5
    satisfaction...

7. Aug 18, 2011 #6

fluidistic

Gold Member

To get an infinite amount of wishes to be realized whenever I want, of course.

8. Aug 18, 2011 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Easily arranged!
    :gets hammer:

9. Aug 18, 2011 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

To have computers disappear from the Earth. (I'm in the software industry.)

10. Aug 18, 2011 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To have human population level off and descend back to about 3 billion (over a few decades, of course--don't want any horrible catastrophe; just want about half of everybody to go away)

11. Aug 18, 2011 #10
    Just one more wish.

12. Aug 18, 2011 #11

disregardthat

Science Advisor

That nobody else had any wishes to screw up this world with.

13. Aug 18, 2011 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you read the book or seen the PBS production of, The Lathe of Heaven?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  14. Aug 19, 2011 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aside from stopping Hitler, saving humanity, changing human nature, and all of those things so clearly demonstrated to be undesireable by Fox Mulder when he had a personal Gin, one event in history that I would like to undo is the destruction of the library at Alexandria. That has always struck me as being perhaps one of the most tragic losses in all of human history.

That, or I would like to be a real Time Lord with a real TARDIS - the real Dr. Who.

15. Aug 19, 2011 #14

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Do you have a specific half-of-all-people in mind? If not, can I add a few to the list?

So you can reproduce asexually and never understand the value of anticipation (since they don't experience the passage of time)? I guess I wouldn't mind being a Time Lord if it meant Amy Pond followed me everywhere.

If I had one wish, I'd wish to be in middle management at an engineering company. It would be nice to never have to use my brain again. Very relaxing.

16. Aug 19, 2011 #15
    I'd wish for a breakthrough in stem cell research so my sister(and those in her position) can walk again, or at least use her arms.

17. Aug 19, 2011 #16
    I'd probably wish to be irresistibly attractive to women.

18. Aug 19, 2011 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Check

I haven't notice the passage of time in years. Check.

Yeah, and how many other companions? The Doctor rarely travels alone.

Well, self-employment has its downside as well: The boss is a jerk and the employees are all idiots.

19. Aug 19, 2011 #18
    A freshly ironed shirt.

20. Aug 19, 2011 #19

chiro

Science Advisor

For infinite wishes, and for the second wish of those, the wisdom for choosing the rest of the wishes.

21. Aug 19, 2011 #20

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Realistic, or fairy tale?

Realistic - I guess around $10M will do, should be enough for the rest of my life. I don't plan on anything extravagant, but being able to buy a better house and do some traveling would be nice.

Fairy tale? Don't even get me started... However, there is a serious problem. On many occasions people wanted to do something good, but the outcome was rather catastrophic. So while I would love to wish for something that could make the world better, I am afraid of deciding what it could be, as the results can be quite the opposite to what I want. Chi idea looks interesting, but technical realization, and possible side effects, can be even more devastating than the current flow of events is. Medical advances could be great, but the more lifes we save and the longer we live, the higher burden on the planet. Changing peoples thinking in hope it will make the world better - that was already tried and results were not necessarily encouraging (think Jesus and inquisition). So I think I will stick with my own backyard.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook