Online Associates - Find STEM-Related Programs to Get Started

• Thread starter Jesse St. John
  • Start date
In summary, JesseSt.John is looking for an online course that will get him as close as possible to a bachelors or associates degree in physics for Caltech.
Jesse St. John
Does anyone have some resources they would not mind sharing on finding an online associates program that is in close relation to a STEM program in order to get started?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jesse St. John said:
Does anyone have some resources they would not mind sharing on finding an online associates program that is in close relation to a STEM program in order to get started?

Why do you want an online associates? You're going to have trouble getting adequately prepared for your physics/engineering major at cal tech online.

Student100 said:
Why do you want an online associates? You're going to have trouble getting adequately prepared for your physics/engineering major at cal tech online.

Well thanks for not answering my question but I found a "bachelor of physics with emphasis in engineering" online fully accredited and transferable. Also Caltech is working with me in order to make sure I will be adequately prepared in order to succeed there due to my working an unconventional job that takes me from home for several weeks at a time. Maybe next time don't assume you know the outcome of someone elses choices by telling them that they are "going to have trouble getting adequately prepared for your physics/engineering major at cal tech online". Instead offer some real genuine help or do not say anything at all. Thanks.

Jesse St. John said:
Well thanks for not answering my question but I found a "bachelor of physics with emphasis in engineering" online fully accredited and transferable. Also Caltech is working with me in order to make sure I will be adequately prepared in order to succeed there due to my working an unconventional job that takes me from home for several weeks at a time. Maybe next time don't assume you know the outcome of someone elses choices by telling them that they are "going to have trouble getting adequately prepared for your physics/engineering major at cal tech online". Instead offer some real genuine help or do not say anything at all. Thanks.

If you want to insult me that's fine, I'm only trying to help you.

There is no online degree in physics that could prepare you for transfer/graduate school. Caltech is helping you how? You're now getting an online bachelors?

How are you going to do any lab work online? Physics and/or engineering, and their associated classes, are heavily lab dependent. Do you really believe a school like Caltech, which gets untold thousands of transfer applications from students in both universities and community colleges, would look favorably at your online education?

Don't ask for advice if you don't want to listen to people giving it.

Likes symbolipoint
Jesse St. John said:
JesseSt.John, their advice, as discouraging as it is, is mostly realistic.

Student100 said:
If you want to insult me that's fine, I'm only trying to help you.

There is no online degree in physics that could prepare you for transfer/graduate school. Caltech is helping you how? You're now getting an online bachelors?

How are you going to do any lab work online? Physics and/or engineering, and their associated classes, are heavily lab dependent. Do you really believe a school like Caltech, which gets untold thousands of transfer applications from students in both universities and community colleges, would look favorably at your online education?

Don't ask for advice if you don't want to listen to people giving it.

Actually there is University at Arlington of Texas, a 4 year "bachelor of science in physics with engineering emphasis".

Yes they are helping by checking to make sure what I am looking at will be adequate in preparing me for the graduate program

If Caltech will not look favorably on this education then one of two things will happen, either I find another graduate program who will except this education, or 2 I will find another online program that will get me as close as possible to a bachelors or associates degree for Caltech.

Plus I never asked for anyone's advice on how to approach my education. I simply asked for any resources anyone could share on finding an online course that could get me started as they are difficult to find because there are so few. That is different then advice, try looking up the definition of words before using them.

Also I was not being rude, just very direct about your ignorance about other peoples lives/worlds. But that's understandable being as young as you sound I was like that once when I thought all I knew about this world was right and true, then I grew up and realized I am not the know it all I thought I was. Again not being rude just direct.

symbolipoint said:
JesseSt.John, their advice, as discouraging as it is, is mostly realistic.

Thanks again but I did not ask for pointed ignorant advice about my future, whether realistic or not. I asked for Resources about gaining knowledge in order to make an educated decision but thanks for chiming in.

Also I was not being rude, just very direct about your ignorance about other peoples lives/worlds. But that's understandable being as young as you sound I was like that once when I thought all I knew about this world was right and true, then I grew up and realized I am not the know it all I thought I was. Again not being rude just direct.

:rolleyes:

Jesse St. John said:
Thanks again but I did not ask for pointed ignorant advice about my future, whether realistic or not. I asked for Resources about gaining knowledge in order to make an educated decision but thanks for chiming in.

Well good luck, have a nice day.

Plus my wife also received her Bachelors in Nursing through this University and she is currently a CCRN (Critical Care Registered Nurse) and there schooling labs and all were more than sufficie
Student100 said:
:rolleyes:
Well good luck, have a nice day.

Thank you I will need all of the luck I can get! :-)

The idea that any online program could prepare a student for a graduate degree program for physical sciences or technical/engineering is a very very bad idea. A much better path would be to attend genuine courses at a community college, and then earn an undergraduate degree from a university that you would attend in-person.

Likes billy_joule and Student100
symbolipoint said:
The idea that any online program could prepare a student for a graduate degree program for physical sciences or technical/engineering is a very very bad idea. A much better path would be to attend genuine courses at a community college, and then earn an undergraduate degree from a university that you would attend in-person.

I can't even find this online physics degree (to see if it had any merit), all I could find was this :
http://academicpartnerships.uta.edu/SearchPrograms
http://www.utcoursesonline.org/programs/undergraduate.html

symbolipoint said:

I see the traditional sense that makes in a Brick and Mortar world but that is just not the world we live in anymore. If it was I would turn my nose up at this Idea as well. If it wasn't for my wife and the bachelors degree in science for Nursing and her being a CCRN (Critical Care Registered Nurse) that means she tends to the sickest of the sick. Where peoples lives are in her hands on a daily basis and she has had a flourishing successful and well educated career I would tend to agree with you. But that is not the case, so in order to take advantage of our ever growing technological world this should work just fine since the material is generally the same and no ones life is in the balance here.

Jesse St. John said:
Here is the Merit
http://catalog.uta.edu/science/physics/undergraduate/#bachelorstext

It took me a long time to find the information as well.

Where does it say it's online? Pretty sure it isn't.

I picked a random physics class and Googled the syllabus-in this case 4324 advanced E&M- seems it has a lab, how are you going to do that lab online?

Last edited:
Student100 said:
Where does it say it's online?

Good question, I was advised that this was an online course so I did not question further and I was to review the information and speak with the school on a decision. So if the wrong impression was given to me then I could truly be wrong and it is to late to confirm with the school tonight. I will check tomorrow first thing and let you know. Dang that would be totally lame if it was not online. Either way my quest continues for the search for education that fits my lifestyle. Well thanks for continuing to question me I may not have found out until later and been more disappointed.

Student100 said:

I picked a random physics class and Googled the syllabus-in this case 4324 advanced E&M- seems it has a lab, how are you going to do that lab online?

Yes that's a valid point and I will find that out tomorrow for sure.

Jesse St. John said:
Yes that's a valid point and I will find that out tomorrow for sure.
Well I was advised incorrectly, you are correct it is not an online course. Booo for me, oh well the search goes on.

Student100 said:

Well I was advised incorrectly, you are correct it is not an online course. Booo for me, oh well the search goes on.

Jesse St. John said:

Can you quit your job? Is that an option?

You're going to have a hard time finding an online physics/engineering education.

Student100 said:
You're going to have a hard time finding an online physics/engineering education.

Well no, that's not so difficult. But it will be difficult finding a good and reputable online physics/engineering education. And it will be near impossible finding one that will get you in top grad schools like caltech.

Likes Student100
Jesse St. John said:
I see the traditional sense that makes in a Brick and Mortar world but that is just not the world we live in anymore.

Perhaps it isn't, but for grad schools it still very much is the world we live in anymore.

So what will get you into grad school?
1) A good GPA. Sure, you can get that part down, but since people tend to look down on online colleges, they will question your GPA.
2) Good GRE scores. That's certainly possible.
3) Good letters of recommendations. You won't get this at an online school.
4) Undergrad research experience. You won't get this at an online school.

So since 3 and 4 are out, and since people will see 1 as questionable, then it all depends on 2. But 2 is not good enough on its own to gain you admission.

Likes Jesse St. John, Student100 and symbolipoint
micromass said:
Perhaps it isn't, but for grad schools it still very much is the world we live in anymore.

So what will get you into grad school?
1) A good GPA. Sure, you can get that part down, but since people tend to look down on online colleges, they will question your GPA.
2) Good GRE scores. That's certainly possible.
3) Good letters of recommendations. You won't get this at an online school.
4) Undergrad research experience. You won't get this at an online school.

So since 3 and 4 are out, and since people will see 1 as questionable, then it all depends on 2. But 2 is not good enough on its own to gain you admission.
Great point, thank you I will take that into consideration for sure. That was very helpful and useful.

Student100 said:
Can you quit your job? Is that an option?

I could quit my job but then I have zero income aside from my wifes which covers our family expenses with new baby and then some but not enough to put me through school. So it would be very difficult to make that work. I am 3-6 months out till I commit to school so I am working on finding an alternative that will work with the school schedule when it comes time to attend. I was just hoping to get a head start on Pre Reqs before I made the switch.

Jesse St. John said:
I could quit my job but then I have zero income aside from my wifes which covers our family expenses with new baby and then some but not enough to put me through school. So it would be very difficult to make that work. I am 3-6 months out till I commit to school so I am working on finding an alternative that will work with the school schedule when it comes time to attend. I was just hoping to get a head start on Pre Reqs before I made the switch.

You could enroll in a local community college and take some prerequisites online until you can fully commit to going to school. You'd also be able to save additional money for your education for when you do go full time.

Obviously with a job that requires travel you're going to need to find another job without travel and a more flexible schedule or just become a full time student.

While attending CC for transfer, holding down a job is fine. When you transfer, however, I wouldn't recommend full time employment.

Student100 said:
You could enroll in a local community college and take some prerequisites online until you can fully commit to going to school. You'd also be able to save additional money for your education for when you do go full time.

Obviously with a job that requires travel you're going to need to find another job without travel and a more flexible schedule or just become a full time student.

While attending CC for transfer, holding down a job is fine. When you transfer, however, I wouldn't recommend full time employment.
Thanks that's good info, I am browsing for g for online pre req stuff currently as it seems that is the most probable direction I will be going. Thanks again.

1. What is an online associate's degree?

An online associate's degree is a two-year undergraduate program that can be completed entirely online. It is typically offered by community colleges and technical schools and is equivalent to the first two years of a four-year bachelor's degree.

2. What is STEM?

STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. These fields are considered to be the most in-demand and high-paying industries in today's job market.

3. How can I find STEM-related programs online?

You can easily find STEM-related programs online by using a search engine or by visiting websites of accredited colleges and universities. You can also use online directories and databases specifically designed for finding online STEM programs.

4. What are the benefits of pursuing an online associate's degree in a STEM field?

There are several benefits to pursuing an online associate's degree in a STEM field. These include flexibility in schedule and location, lower tuition costs, and the ability to gain in-demand skills and knowledge for high-paying jobs.

5. Can I transfer an online associate's degree to a four-year university?

Yes, many online associate's degree programs are designed for transfer to four-year universities. However, it is important to check with the specific university you plan to transfer to for their specific transfer requirements and policies.