Which Online Bachelor's Degree is Best for a Talented Student in a Nursing Home?

In summary, my niece is talented in math and statistics, and would like to get an online bachelor's degree. Unfortunately, the University of Maryland at College Park does not offer online degrees, but the University of Indiana does. UIUC is the main Illinois campus, but it's not the one that offers online degrees. The lesser-known campuses do. And apparently Univ of Maryland University College actually has a bad reputation. However, according to the professors I googled, the mathematics department is "of very low reputation". My niece is talented enough that she may be able to get an online degree at a good school, but it's up to her and her family to inquire about opportunities.
seeeker
Posting this for my niece:

She's confined to a nursing home but very talented in statistics and math. She'd like to get an online bachelor's degree from a good university. Do you have any suggestions for her?

Physics news on Phys.org
University of Indiana and University of Maryland have some of the more reputable online programs... but it depends on what she wants to get her degree in.

Thanks. I just checked. It's not Indiana University at Bloomington but lesser campuses like IUPUI and likewise it's not the University of Maryland at College Park but regional UM campuses of lesser repute that offer online undergraduate degrees.

seeeker said:
Thanks. I just checked. It's not Indiana University at Bloomington but lesser campuses like IUPUI

Actually I was thinking of the University of Illinois.

and likewise it's not the University of Maryland at College Park but regional UM campuses of lesser repute that offer online undergraduate degrees.

It does not matter. You still get a UM diploma.

fss said:
Actually I was thinking of the University of Illinois. It does not matter. You still get a UM diploma.

Checked again. Same story. UIUC, the main Illinois campus in Urbana unfortunately isn't the one that offers online degrees. The lesser-known campuses do. And apparently Univ of Maryland University College actually has a bad reputation. There are good schools like Stanford that offer online degrees but they are at the graduate level whereas my relative needs something at the undergraduate level from a good school.
Thanks.

Er... university of Maryland has a "bad reputation"? In what? Poultry vaccination?

Zz.

seeeker said:
Checked again. Same story. UIUC, the main Illinois campus in Urbana unfortunately isn't the one that offers online degrees. The lesser-known campuses do.

Does not matter. If one wants to do an online degree, this is one of the trade-offs you will have to make. This should have been completely obvious.

And apparently Univ of Maryland University College actually has a bad reputation.

According to...?

I googled and found some threads by professors - their consensus was UM-University College was of very low reputation. This isn't my opinion. Then I asked an advisor at the Univ of Michigan who said the same thing.

I agree a compromise must be made but she says she will either study at a good university or not study at all.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
seeeker said:
Posting this for my niece:

She's confined to a nursing home but very talented in statistics and math. She'd like to get an online bachelor's degree from a good university. Do you have any suggestions for her?

Some questions of interest:

What is your niece's condition? What state does she live in? how close is her residential home to a campus (if she's fairly interested in staying with her present facility)?

I ask these things because many states provide services to disabled individuals, including perhaps transportation, an aide, etc. -- so much so that you may not need to restrict yourself to online.

I know at least two students on our campus who come to class transported by special wheelchair-accessible vehicles (owned by the campus) and have hired aides (through state funding sources) to help them with physical needs at certain time of the day (especially morning and night). These two students live in the dorms and have their own rooms that have been modified for accessibility. I will say that one of these students was accepted to an Ivy League school (with a good financial aid package of which I don't know the details), but ultimately chose our (state flagship) institution for two reasons: acceptance to a very prestigious undergraduate program within the university (that also provides full-tuition/room/board/books), and special/care accommodation to her needs. I know she's also built up quite a network of friends, so if anything happens that the aide can't make it, or there's an emergency, she's got people to call on.

Depending on the nature of your niece's condition, you may want to see if you can make an appointment for her with the disability office on certain campuses. If she's talented enough, some campuses might be very willing to accommodate (and scholarships may even be available for her).

I say these things in the gentlest way, not expecting responses and more personal information here about your niece's condition (I wouldn't know appropriate responses if you provided them). Instead, you and her family (and perhaps herself) should inquire directly to the appropriate office on a campus. These offices (often staffed by individuals with varying disabilities and therefore special insights) really want to increase the numbers of disabled students that can successfully pursue higher education (and are there to genuinely provide help). My spouse and I (both university faculty) have a son who uses a wheelchair... hence my familiarity with some individuals in the disability community (both on campus and in the surrounds).

- No one is bad-mouthing UM. It's acknowledged to be one of the finest universities in the country. However, UMUC is the one that has the bad reputation.

- She's lives in Nevada. Kinda isolated from everything. The closest university is actually in Utah.

- A university in Utah I know won't even permit a wheelchair in the library. They have the security buzzers too close to allow a wheelchair in. I complained two years ago. They promised to look into it but didn't bother making changes.

What is an online bachelor's degree?

An online bachelor's degree is an undergraduate degree that is earned through a virtual learning platform rather than in a traditional classroom setting. It typically takes the same amount of time to complete as a traditional bachelor's degree, which is around four years.

What are the benefits of earning an online bachelor's degree?

Some benefits of earning an online bachelor's degree include flexibility, convenience, and accessibility. Online programs allow students to complete coursework at their own pace, from anywhere with an internet connection. This can be especially beneficial for working professionals or those with other commitments.

Are online bachelor's degrees legitimate?

Yes, online bachelor's degrees are legitimate. As long as the program is accredited by a recognized accrediting agency, the degree holds the same value as a traditional degree. It is important to do research on the accreditation status of the program before enrolling.

What types of degrees can be earned online?

Most types of bachelor's degrees can be earned online, including degrees in business, education, healthcare, and technology. Some programs may require in-person components, such as internships or clinical rotations, but the majority of coursework can be completed online.

How do online bachelor's degrees differ from traditional degrees?

The main difference between online and traditional bachelor's degrees is the delivery method of the coursework. Online degrees are completed through virtual platforms, while traditional degrees are completed in a physical classroom setting. Online degrees also offer more flexibility and convenience, as mentioned earlier.