Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Online dating

1. Mar 28, 2006 #1
    so who was it that posted that freaking quiz on okcupid???!??

i've since become horrible addicted to the site. i'm meeting some guy for a "date" tonight, even though i've technically got whozum. whozum knows i'm going out, and the guy i'm seeing knows about him too so its not like i'm playing anyone. its just like a casual hanging out sorta thing. i think i may be seeing someone else on thursday. I meet new people pretty much every day, and some i talk to pretty often.

i feel like a complete dork!

i don't think i could ever join those sites that you have to pay for. i'm not that desperate for company, but i'm wicked addicted to this right now. anyone else do the online dating thing? it seems to be becoming a fairly popular thing. i watched a show about it the other day even. anyone? or am i all alone here?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2006 #2
    I'm just going to sit here and wonder what the implications of "technically" having someone are. Intriguing way to put it, and I'm going to have to ponder the notion.

4. Mar 28, 2006 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I've gone on several dates through eHarmony. When you work for a company with 5 employees, all male, and suck at picking girls up at a bar (should I really want to anyway?), that's one of the only options.

5. Mar 28, 2006 #4
    The question is, if that service provides the girls you would like or just a female version of yourself with the same flaws that oneself joined that service to escape?

6. Mar 28, 2006 #5
    well i dunno how eharmony works, but on okcupid, you answer questions about how your mate would answer. so if the question is like "do you wear the pants in your relationship?"
    your answer:
    yes or no
    their answer:
    yes or no

so like, if you say yes, you can select that your partner says no. so its not like you're finding someone just like you, you could find your opposite if thats what you're looking for. me, i dunno what i'm really looking for in a partner, so i mostly leave them blank.

well, hosam and i are an item. its just that he's very far away so its not like we can go out or anything. we consider eachother boyfriend/girlfriend, but since we can't go out together, we go out with other people. so i'm not single, but i still go out, aye? i'm wondering though how different things will be when i move....

7. Mar 28, 2006 #6

Mk

Gale is with whozum?? I thought that was somebody else... And you moved to Phenix. Arazona all the way to Tacoma.. PHILADELPHIA, Atlanta, LA.

8. Mar 28, 2006 #7

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't let that big ol jet airliner carry you too far away.

9. Mar 28, 2006 #8

Astronuc

You forgot - "Keep on rockin' . . . . " :rofl:

10. Mar 28, 2006 #9
    Thank you. I was confused after the "jet airliner" reference. Way to know your Steve Miller trivia.:smile:

11. Mar 28, 2006 #10

Astronuc

I thought that was a middle aged thing! :rofl:

I have a bachelor friend who uses several sites. He's looking for a wife. I think he's up to about 80+ women so far. :rolleyes:

12. Mar 28, 2006 #11

Astronuc

I am sorry but why would any guy want to pick up a woman in a bar? That is the last place I would look. Does this have anything to do with "Cheers" or

If one is single and living in an apartment - how about the local apartment complex? Or the grocery store? Or library? Or church? Or some local civic organization or club? Or beach or park?

Then again I haven't been single for almost 25 years (one year of living together while engaged).

Other than PF where Whozum and Gale met, has any other couple developed here?

13. Mar 28, 2006 #12
    Didn't you know? Lisa! and I are to be married as soon as she escapes from Iran.

14. Mar 28, 2006 #13

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I actually met my current girlfriend through OKCupid over two years ago. She posts here occasionally. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, though. I joined the site to take the tests and just ended up having a bunch of people messaging me. I had never really intended to meet anyone, but she lived nearby and it seemed pretty pointless to me to just exchange e-mails when we could very easily physically talk to each other.

She's the only person I've actually "dated" after meeting online, though. I have met up with several other people that I initially met online, but the girls I've dated or been in long-term relationships with I usually met either through school or work. I met my ex-wife in a writing workshop class that I was taking just to keep getting health coverage and she was taking to defer paying back her student loans. There was a match made in heaven.

I mostly use online communication to keep in touch with friends I met the good old fashioned way but am no longer in proximity to, since I've moved around so much.

15. Mar 28, 2006 #14
    While I don't exactly do the internet dating thing I have met women over the internet. My last serious relationship I met online though we had no intention of dating at all until after we met in person. Even when we met it wasn't a planned thing really, we just both had plans to be going to the same club and figured that maybe we'd see each other there. There was a woman that I flew out to see in another state for a week but nothing came of that since we were too far away from one another to have a relationship. One of my internet friends who lives in San Francisco and I had a crush on one another but decided, again for distance reasons, to keep it platonic. There have been a couple others but I have never really been looking.

16. Mar 28, 2006 #15
    Yes, OKCupid is very addictive with this silly tests. I met my wife through The Onion personals.

17. Mar 28, 2006 #16

Astronuc

Ah, the world of virtual relationships - or relationships through the wire - as a dear friend says. On the other hand, it would the same over the phone I suppose, which is how I keep in touch with close friends who live in other parts of the country or world.

18. Mar 28, 2006 #17
    I wonder if you already know him know him?

19. Mar 28, 2006 #18

Evo

Two of the people I'm closest to, I met online. What makes anyone think that the right person for them just miraculously lives within 50 miles of their house? If that is true, then my soulmate has four legs. :frown:

My oldest daughter, the Spawn of Evo, met her current boyfriend online.

20. Mar 28, 2006 #19

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

If that's true, you just became my new hero.

21. Mar 28, 2006 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since seeing this thread, I headed over to check the OKCupid site again...haven't bothered after the first week or so. I got two messages. One from someone whose profile brags about how often he goes out drinking beer :rolleyes:, and the other from someone who doesn't even have a profile filled out and can't seem to spell two words in a row correctly. :yuck:

And, yeah, Russ, what's wrong with the available women at PF?! :grumpy: Though, you might have to act quickly; I've already entered the "Win a Date with Tom Mattson" Contest. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?