1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Online Degrees

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    Curious if anyone here has gotten a degree online. Where and what your experience was. They seem to be getting more and more popular. And what about online graduate degrees? Are there any online programs that get respect?
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2
    I am unsure, but I would guess no, at least in physics.
  4. Mar 4, 2008 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It all depends on which online school and what program.

I, myself, plan on getting an online degree. It will a Bachelor's of Arts in Psychology.

My friend is doing one in Business and he's loving it.

I could imagine one in Mathematics not being any good though or even Physics. Anything that requires labs are a definite no.
  5. Mar 4, 2008 #4
    Meh...such degrees are boring. Theres no "social interaction"...And, in some cases, the quality of the programs are horrible...
  6. Mar 4, 2008 #5

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You get social interaction at work and going out.

I would hope no one is doing online courses on a full-time basis.

Plus, you say the quality is horrible, but I've read Psychology textbooks already and have learned more than lots of Psychology students. They know I don't know too, but I haven't even come close to taking as many courses as them.
  7. Mar 4, 2008 #6
    Sure you do get social interaction outside and all. Still, I personally find it boring... :smile:
  8. Mar 4, 2008 #7
    I clearly mentioned this in my comment #4:
  9. Mar 4, 2008 #8

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh, ok. No, I didn't take it in a offending manner.

I'm getting my degree from a "real" school. It's just that Psychology is an interest and online schools work around your time much better. (I'm going to graduate school.) They give 6 months to complete a 4 month course.
  10. Mar 4, 2008 #9
    Warren is taking online classes at stanford.
  11. Mar 4, 2008 #10
    Well, online courses from reputable universities are good...
  12. Mar 4, 2008 #11
    Are you aiming a bachelor degree in psychology?
  13. Mar 4, 2008 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You know, you should really start reading a little more, thinkies!
  14. Mar 4, 2008 #13
    I tend to read things fast..Hehe, I'll pay attention next time!
  15. Mar 4, 2008 #14
    I've gone through "traditional" classes where I never show up, e-mail the completed assignments to the professor, and end up getting in the 3.8-4.0 range. Does that count?

Otherwise, no, and I don't think many people have great respect for online degree programs.
  16. Mar 4, 2008 #15
    Yep. Some of my school teachers consider such degrees to be 'non-official' types...They say its simply a waste of time(weird they think of it as a 'waste'). Still, that does not mean that all online programs are horrible. Some are pretty good.
  17. Mar 4, 2008 #16
    I think some of these responses have blinders on toward thinking "online degrees" implies University of Phoenix or something. Some good schools have distance learning programs.
  18. Mar 4, 2008 #17

Staff: Mentor

Online courses from an accredited program at a well-established university like Stanford or MIT is quite different than courses/degrees from a place like University of Phoenix.

The accredited programs I've seen have the student show up at the campus at some point.
  19. Mar 4, 2008 #18
    Greg, may I change your question a bit to include all forms of distance education, not only online but mail, satellite link, video, and the ultimate - no courses but only testing? In fact, many degrees are granted for a combination of these deliveries.

I have an external degree in history and philosophy. I've never used it professionally and can't personally answer the question of acceptance. I do know such degrees are widely accepted by governments (federal and state), by school systems, and as a professional degree for nursing licensure.

Distance degrees typically lack the coherent, sequential curriculum seen in a traditional brick and mortar school and may not adequately prepare the student for graduate work in the sciences or in engineering. I don't know of any respected school which offers a BS in engineering.

On the other hand, since there is not the same core course requirement, master's degrees in science and engineering are available from many well-respected schools and are generally accepted. There is, in fact, a long tradition of the master's in engineering being a non-residency or short-residency degree.

I think the bottom line is that such degrees are better suited to the more mature, self-directed learner who already has some knowledge of, and perhaps experience in, the field. Moreover, the student needs to check acceptance by typical employers or potential graduate schools, and needs to do a little research to see that the prospective school is legitimate.

Many UK degrees have traditionally been external, with the student being required to only sit for the exams.

A good guide for the person considering a distance degree is
    Bear's Guide to College Degrees by Mail & Internet by John B. Bear and Mariah P. Bear, Ten Speed Press.
  20. Mar 4, 2008 #19
    I don't know from personal experience, but someone my parents know did one in business/managment. Before doing it, he was flipping burgers. After getting it, he is still flipping burgers. At the same restaraunt too if I'm not mistaken.
  21. Mar 4, 2008 #20

Science Advisor

Graduate degrees via Distance Education from an accreditied university are exactly equivalent to sitting in a class room at most schools. The degree won't say "Online" or anything similar.

For example, here are some Graduate Distance Education Degrees from NC State:

Of course these types of degrees require an enormous amount of initiative and self-discipline to complete.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?