Have You Gotten a Degree Online? Experiences & Respect

• Programs
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary: As long as the program is accredited and the degree is recognized, it should be fine.I'm unsure, but I would guess no, at least in physics.Depending on the school and program, there may be some programs that are respected. Otherwise, no, and I don't think **many people have great respect for online degree programs**.In summary, online degrees may be popular, but they are not always respected. They can be good or bad, depending on the program and school.
stewartcs said:
What does a "piece of **** vanilla degree" mean??

CS

Get a degree is social sciences or something similar and let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
RufusDawes said:
Because business management is a piece of **** vanilla degree. Had he done something more useful like accounting or eduction I doubt he would still be flipping burgers.

I agree.

It's a garbage degree.

No degree is useless they all have some value I did over react. But from a financial perspective certain qualifications are like suicide. There is always a lot of value in learning, however, not always financial value.

A guy who is in a position of flipping burgers and using a degree to get ahead, really needs access to something with financial benefit. Partly because it is clear he does not have the plain personal skills to get a head - he needs a marketable qualification.

The instrinsic value of learing isn't going to do him much good. If you are established in what you do or a independant financially - then there is benefit in getting any sort of degree.

RufusDawes said:
No degree is useless they all have some value I did over react. But from a financial perspective certain qualifications are like suicide. There is always a lot of value in learning, however, not always financial value.

Not to knock what he did too much, but a guy who is in a position of flipping burgers and using a degree to get ahead, really needs access to something with financial benefit.

The instrinsic value of learing isn't going to do him much good. If you are established in what you do or a independant financially - then there is it is an absolute benefit in getting any sort of degree.

Exactly why I said it's good for a second undergraduate degree.

Seriously, it's a garbage degree. There are many out there that exist. Schools aren't always honest with what they "sell".

You basically said that everything a school hands out has value, but that's false. And there is a reason why you don't see good schools with all those weird programs offered on TV commercials.

RufusDawes said:
Get a degree is social sciences or something similar and let me know.

Let you know what? That doesn't explain what a "vanilla degree" is.

CS

stewartcs said:
Let you know what? That doesn't explain what a "vanilla degree" is.

CS

vanilla = common and generic.

vanilla degree is a common and generic degree.

What kind of sick bastard orders a vanilla thick shake when there is choclate and strawberry available ?

What kind of sick employer would higher a 'business management' major when there are accounting and engineering graduates.

RufusDawes said:
vanilla = common and generic.

vanilla degree is a common and generic degree.

What kind of sick bastard orders a vanilla thick shake when there is choclate and strawberry available ?

What kind of sick employer would higher a 'business management' major when there are accounting and engineering graduates.

The beauty in simplicity has eluded you.

Certainly there must be some employers whom have management degrees - perhaps in the top management levels. Which implies they would indeed hire one with said degree.

CS

stewartcs said:

Certainly there must be some employers whom have management degrees - perhaps in the top management levels. Which implies they would indeed hire one with said degree.

CS

As an add on, but not like their only education.

You can get engineering degrees focused on management here, but you have to put in an extra year. You still do everything plus management. Not just management.

JasonRox said:
As an add on, but not like their only education.

You can get engineering degrees focused on management here, but you have to put in an extra year. You still do everything plus management. Not just management.

Surely you guy's aren't suggesting that a BS in Business Administration is worthless...are you?

CS

stewartcs said:

CS

You'd need to go to a good school and have very good people skills to make use of such a degree.

The probability is lower that you would be able to get a good job with it.

If you have exceptional people skills the degree becomes less worthless. But if you're that good you probably didn't need the degree in first place.

A person flipping burgers probably isn't the best people person or they'd be waiting tables for a start, pending situations.

If you're 23 years old and a top achieving salesman in a call centre for example, you're looking at moving into management and then go the recruiting/HR path a business management degree is definently invaluable to you.

I might be off base here but my perception of degrees such as engineering and accounting are degrees that give you the opportunity to move ahead where others cannot because you have to work very hard.

Te vanilla type confirm you aren't a total moron, attach a franchise to your name ( the more expensive the better) and leave the rest to your abilities, interpersonal skills and ability to talk yourself into a job and suck ass all the way.

I'd suggest a degree in humanities for a hot chick who wants to work in University administration or other administration. It would be a ridiculous idea for a 19 year old bloke flipping burgers.

For some reason I just included business as a humanity, oh well.

RufusDawes said:
I'd suggest a degree in humanities for a hot chick who wants to work in University administration or other administration.

Speaking of hot chicks and education, check out the list of people who have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erd%C5%91s-Bacon_number" . Especially that girl who authored the paper on Riemannian manifolds - hot both for being a hottie and for having authored a paper on Riemannian manifolds.

And Natalie Portman too, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
RufusDawes said:
The probability is lower that you would be able to get a good job with it.

Apparently you have researched the different fields and have quantified the probability of this...or is this just an arbitrary answer?

Again, are you guy's saying that a Business Administration degree is worthless?

CS

stewartcs said:
Surely you guy's aren't suggesting that a BS in Business Administration is worthless...are you?

CS

Um... you do realize Bus. Admin. is something completely different than business management.

CaptainQuasar said:
Speaking of hot chicks and education, check out the list of people who have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erd%C5%91s-Bacon_number" . Especially that girl who authored the paper on Riemannian manifolds - hot both for being a hottie and for having authored a paper on Riemannian manifolds.

And Natalie Portman too, of course.

ok you can play the sexist card if you like but I am making valid point.

Have you ever been inside the main administration building of a University ? My dear god, those places are just crawling with hot women.

stewartcs said:
Apparently you have researched the different fields and have quantified the probability of this...or is this just an arbitrary answer?

Again, are you guy's saying that a Business Administration degree is worthless?

CS

What I am saying is that it depends a lot on the person getting it. If you're like me and aren't a fantastic sales man or you're flipping burgers for a living business admin isn't the best thing to do.

And I think that for more people a Business Administration degree would not get them far.

But I come from Australia employers are a little bit different in the way they look at qualifications. A degree is not at all essential to succeed in business.

I really should have mentioned that earlier as it does make a difference.

JasonRox said:
Um... you do realize Bus. Admin. is something completely different than business management.

I've never heard of a Business Management degree, but I've heard of a Business Administration - Management degree. The concentration is in management. I presume you guys are talking about something else.

CS

RufusDawes said:
ok you can play the sexist card if you like but I am making valid point.

No, really, that girl who wrote the paper on Riemannian manifolds is http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1450081/" . (So hot that Wikipedia couldn't handle it and deleted the article on her, I guess.)

I recently came across a school that offers individuals the chance to earn a BS In Mathematics completely online (http://www.mercy.edu/acadivisions/mathcompinfo/maths.cfm ). I don't know for sure how "valuable" the degree is, but after talking with some other PF members, Mercy College seems to be a decent school.

Any word on the quality of the Mercy College? I know that the University of Illinois - Springfield also offers an online Mathematics degree here: www . online.uillinois.edu/catalog/ProgramDetail.asp?ProgramID=541

JasonRox said:
I could imagine one in Mathematics not being any good though or even Physics. Anything that requires labs are a definite no.

I would have thought that in that case mathematics would be ideal...