Online ME Masters Degree: Balancing Work and Education - Advice Needed"

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of pursuing a ME Masters degree while working full time and the limited options for night classes in a local area. The main option is to pursue an online degree, but the person is unsure about the experience and advice of others who have completed an online ME degree. Another person shares their experience of completing a distance program, including the use of satellite classes and online courses, and the challenges of conducting research remotely. The conversation ends with the person expressing concerns about the distance of their desired school and how it may complicate the online learning experience.
cstoos
I have been looking at getting my ME Masters degree, but I am currently working full time and will definitely not be taking time off to pursue it (meaning, I want to accomplish it while working).

My only local option doesn't really offer night classes for engineering graduate degrees so that leaves online as my only real option. There is info online about which schools offer online degrees, but I don't know anybody who has done this as an ME. Anybody have any experience/advice on the matter?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I actually just completed my masters through a distance program. Many schools now support satellite classes. There were even classes that weren't initially setup to be online that were then modified at my request. Most of the courses I took were through a satellite connection where I connected in from a local community college, and one of them was delivered online, which I simply watched from home. The hardest part was performing the research, which really required face to face meetings with my advisor. I ended up making a 2 hr drive to the school every other week.

Send me a pm if you have any specific questions.

Thanks for the reply. That is pretty much the type of information I am looking for. I have been worrying about things like labs associated with classes, necessary software programs that I won't have computer lab access to, etc.

A two hour drive every few weeks wouldn't be too bad, but the school I have been leaning towards is about a 20 hour drive from my location. I think that added distance would complicate things even more, which stinks because UW-Madison has a highly rated online degree program with emphasis in my field (IC engines).

1. What are online graduate degrees?

Online graduate degrees are advanced academic programs that can be completed entirely online. They are designed for individuals who have already completed a bachelor's degree and are seeking further education and specialization in a specific field.

2. How long does it take to complete an online graduate degree?

The duration of an online graduate degree program can vary depending on the specific program and the student's pace. On average, a master's degree can take 1-2 years to complete, while a doctoral degree can take 3-5 years.

3. Are online graduate degrees as valuable as traditional degrees?

Yes, online graduate degrees are just as valuable as traditional degrees. They are offered by accredited universities and provide the same level of education and credentials as on-campus programs. What matters most is the reputation of the university and the quality of the program.

4. Can I work while pursuing an online graduate degree?

Yes, one of the main advantages of online graduate degrees is the flexibility they offer. Students can often work at their own pace and schedule, allowing them to balance their studies with work and other commitments. However, it is important to carefully manage time and prioritize studies to ensure success in the program.

5. Can I transfer credits from a traditional program to an online graduate degree program?

Yes, many online graduate degree programs accept transfer credits from accredited universities. However, the transfer process and the number of credits that can be transferred may vary depending on the program and the university. It is best to consult with the program coordinator or admissions office for more information.