Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Online Language Courses?

1. Nov 5, 2014 #1
    I'd like to brush up on my German. I took it in middle school, so I have some background with it but have forgotten 90% of it. I also have a native speaker I can practice with, but I want to do some work on my own first until I feel more competent.

Any suggestions for a good resource for this? Google brings up lots of results, but it's hard to judge the quality. Also free would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2014 #2
    I used to learn British English at http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/ but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't sound like Hugh Jackman but i do sound like Kate Winslet instead.

4. Nov 5, 2014 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

That's ok. He is from Australia.

5. Nov 5, 2014 #4

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

6. Nov 6, 2014 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Can you get it for computers? (The downloads are for phones and tablets.)

7. Nov 6, 2014 #6

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

It's browser-based. Just click on "get started", then "create profile".

8. Nov 6, 2014 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks. I'll take a boo at it tomorrow.

9. Nov 6, 2014 #8

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the written part, I would suggesr working with Wikipediacht, or whatever the German Wikipedia version is named.
    Look up some term you are interested in and familiar with, and follow the links. The context will help you understand the rest, and you can pick up new terms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook