Learn German Online: Improve Your Language Skills with Free Resources

In summary, Wikipediacht is a great resource for brushing up on your German. It uses a sort of Skinner box approach to facilitate learning, and can get addictive.
dipole
I'd like to brush up on my German. I took it in middle school, so I have some background with it but have forgotten 90% of it. I also have a native speaker I can practice with, but I want to do some work on my own first until I feel more competent.

Any suggestions for a good resource for this? Google brings up lots of results, but it's hard to judge the quality. Also free would be great!

Science news on Phys.org
I used to learn British English at http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/ but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't sound like Hugh Jackman but i do sound like Kate Winslet instead.

Likes RonL
Medicol said:
I used to learn British English at http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/ but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't sound like Hugh Jackman but i do sound like Kate Winslet instead.
That's ok. He is from Australia.

Likes Danger and Medicol
Likes Enigman
Bandersnatch said:
Duolingo is absolutely marvelous:
Can you get it for computers? (The downloads are for phones and tablets.)

Danger said:
Can you get it for computers? (The downloads are for phones and tablets.)
It's browser-based. Just click on "get started", then "create profile".

Bandersnatch said:
It's browser-based. Just click on "get started", then "create profile".
Thanks. I'll take a boo at it tomorrow.

dipole said:
I'd like to brush up on my German. I took it in middle school, so I have some background with it but have forgotten 90% of it. I also have a native speaker I can practice with, but I want to do some work on my own first until I feel more competent.

Any suggestions for a good resource for this? Google brings up lots of results, but it's hard to judge the quality. Also free would be great!

For the written part, I would suggesr working with Wikipediacht, or whatever the German Wikipedia version is named.
Look up some term you are interested in and familiar with, and follow the links. The context will help you understand the rest, and you can pick up new terms.

1. What are the benefits of learning German online?

There are several benefits to learning German online, including the flexibility to study at your own pace and on your own schedule, access to a wide range of free resources, and the ability to connect with native speakers through online language communities.

2. How can I improve my language skills while learning German online?

To improve your language skills while learning German online, it is important to practice regularly by completing exercises, watching videos and listening to audio materials, and engaging in conversations with native speakers. It is also helpful to set specific goals and track your progress.

3. Are there any free resources available for learning German online?

Yes, there are many free resources available for learning German online, including language learning websites, mobile apps, and online courses. These resources often include exercises, vocabulary lists, and audio and video materials to help you improve your language skills.

4. Is it possible to become fluent in German by learning online?

While learning German online can be a great way to improve your language skills, becoming fluent in any language requires regular practice and immersion in a language-rich environment. It is important to supplement your online learning with real-life interactions and experiences in order to reach fluency.

5. Can I receive a certification or qualification for learning German online?

There are various online courses and programs that offer certifications or qualifications for learning German, such as the Goethe-Institut's German language certificates. It is important to research and choose a reputable program that aligns with your goals and learning style.