Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Online Love Can It Happen?

1. Aug 14, 2005 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

I read in another forum:

I wanted to tell him the legend of the Franzbear, but this case is abit different. :tongue2: What do you think?
    PS I quoted him exactly.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think online love can happen, but that's not likely it. That sounds more like a young and unstable kid who too easily becomes infatuated.

4. Aug 14, 2005 #3
    Well the definition of Love from person to person is different.
    Agreeing with Moonbear,i think Obviously online love can happen,but the probability of its success is much lesser.
    I also think males who look for females,or otherway, on this e are most of times frustated and losers who look for support and claim that to be love,but its not exactly love,its just a delicate situation who makes them think like that.

5. Aug 14, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

How could you post my confidential stories???
    :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Wait a second, im not 17 and i hate the UK

But no seriously, I agree with moonbear, this guy sounds like one of those EMO freaks that dont know what reality is and PROBABLY think love is finding someone who likes the same music group that you do. Everyone will always bring up that they "heard of someone who found true love online". Yah, you HEARD of someone. If the probabilities of finding love online where anything like finding love with people in your community, we'd all KNOW of people who found true love online. I mean lets get real, we almost all know someone who found their supposed true love and they are gaga over eachother but I doubt even one out of every 10 people here actually knows someone who found a meaningful love on-line that withstood real-world tests like time and... actually meeting ecahother haha.

Oh yah and British people are ok.

6. Aug 14, 2005 #5
    I think it's kinda illusional, because well yeah it happens but still u cna draw in ur imagination a completely different person than the one u r goin to meet actually...
    It happens sometimes even when a married couple for more than 20 years for example find themselves like strangers to each other, because they both have grown in different was, and sometimes they r not just the same persons anymore..And they get divorced in the end...

So it depends...But that doesn't mean it never works..

7. Aug 14, 2005 #6
    I don't think you can truly love someone just by talking to them through the computer. Like Nomy said you could draw in your head anything about them. If however the two met and felt each other's physical presence then they could love each other.

8. Aug 14, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I think that's it. You don't find love on the internet, but you might meet the person you eventually fall in love with via the internet. There are lots of ways to meet people and I don't believe in such things as "love at first site" (misspelling intentional); love is something that develops as you get to know someone well...you can't really be sure until you know their bad habits and what they're like on bad days and have seen them sick and grouchy and know you still really want to be with them in spite of it all.

9. Aug 14, 2005 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The feeling's mutual mate. :tongue:

10. Aug 14, 2005 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You can definitly meet the right person through the internet, and you can fall in love with that person, the catch is, will you still love that person after you meet them in person? When you have to be around someone all of the time, as Moonbear mentioned, you may find that they aren't all that loveable anymore.

I agree with Nomy's post, a lot of times people meet in person with false notions of what the person really looks like or acts like and get quite a shock when they first meet. I think people tend to form impressions. How many people read a book then hate the movie because it didn't match their impressions of the characters they created in their minds?

I've met a number of people from the internet and I video conferenced with them for months first and there were no surprises when we finally met.

I have a video camera. :biggrin:

11. Aug 14, 2005 #10

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

So far, my husband and I have a relationship that is based on communication and respect, and we met in a chat room nearly 4 years ago. Personally for me, talking for hours online about all kinds of things is a great way to find out about a person initially. Many times we just meet someone and have a physical attraction and have no intellectual connection. Once my husband and I talked for so long on the computer, we resorted to daily phone calls until he could afford to move out to me (3000 miles from the east coast to the west coast). We were best friends a long time before we were ever lovers, and I think this has been a great asset in our relationship.

12. Aug 14, 2005 #11
    no!!!

ok! i admit i am too young. :approve: i tried it several times in yahoo messenger :!!) .
    but i always end up with a fight n' slangs:devil:&*^~@: :yuck: . :grumpy:

if try to become too friendly i make sisters. :redface:
    i have 18 sisters online :surprised . i'm tired of them. :cry:

and every one is older than me. :frown:
    do u want sisters i can lend u some? o:)
    gurkha-war-horse :biggrin:

13. Aug 14, 2005 #12
    I suggest, you work on yourself. If no one seems to be accepting you, it is likely they are looking for a trait that you don't have.

For instance, on the surface, my wife looks pretty and superficial... and this is why we met. But underneath this superficial shell, she has a deep spiritual soul... she's got such great morals and the courage to tell me what I don't want to hear (which is what I want to hear). I found that so rare I had to marry her! She has made me into a much better person and I thank god I have her (or else I'd probably be in jail sooner or later).

To get back to the post, we didn't meet on the internet because intenet dating wasn't as popular back in those days (internet wasn't really that popular at all)...

But I honestly think meeting people in real life gives a much better impression than any other format. A lot of people hide behind an online personality and want to look so cool that their reality cannot match.

I know that I'm far cooler in person than I am online. :cool:

14. Aug 14, 2005 #13
    You can never know a person until you meet them. Simple as that.

15. Aug 14, 2005 #14
    Gurkha,
    i used to do chat because there were/aren't any gal in my batch.. :grumpy: :cry:
    You must be having atleast some gorgeous gals in your class,try them,knock them down! :smile: :!!)

16. Aug 14, 2005 #15

Evo

All of the people I met were no different in person than they were online. I probably found out much more about them in a shorter period of time online and found out things about them that probably would never have come up if we hadn't been talking online. Just think about all of the time you spend with someone you are "physically" with that you don't talk. Online, you have to talk.

Perhaps I am just a very good judge of character and avoid people I can sense are fake or "not normal".

17. Aug 14, 2005 #16
    I love a lot of girls I've seen at uh... certain websites.

18. Aug 14, 2005 #17
    'all'
    That sounds strange to me!
    What was the platform Evo??
    I mean messenger,forum etc.!

19. Aug 14, 2005 #18

Evo

I met them all video conferencing, mostly at various university reflectors such as Cornell & Vassa, then White Pine reflectors, then I got invited to certain private reflectors, which were quieter and the members of a higher caliber then some of the rif raf that was starting to find their way onto the internet (thanks AOHell). I met some of the most awesome, absolutely brilliant people. I met one of the guys that was involved with inventing instant messaging (ICQ), he kept asking us to try it and tell them what we thought of it. I finally signed up, I can't remember now if I had a 3 or 4 digit member number. :tongue:

20. Aug 14, 2005 #19
    Video conferencing is much different from text IMing :blushing:

21. Aug 14, 2005 #20

Evo

We kept our clothes on. :devil: The good reflectors had strict monitors (like the awesome mentors here :wink: ) and would instanty ban anyone caught doing anything inappropriate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?