Online Love Can It Happen?

  • Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
  • #26
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
Dngrsone said:
Though I'm sure it has happened once or twice ( :rolleyes: ), I entertain doubts over whether a teenaged couple have found their perfect mates while traversing the aether.
I think meeting someone online has better chances if you've had some normal relationships first to use as a guide of what it takes to have a relationship and what's important to you. I don't think a teenaged couple is going to be at that stage. At 17, you think you're in love every time someone of the relevant sex looks your direction for more than half a second. :rolleyes:
 
  • #27
36
0
Moonbear said:
I think meeting someone online has better chances if you've had some normal relationships first to use as a guide of what it takes to have a relationship and what's important to you. I don't think a teenaged couple is going to be at that stage. At 17, you think you're in love every time someone of the relevant sex looks your direction for more than half a second. :rolleyes:
Hehehe... too true...
 
  • #28
24
0
gurkhawarhorse said:
u fall in love :!!) in my school then u r a ... :biggrin:
gurkha-war-horse
... :tongue:
 
  • #29
Skyhunter
You really need to know someone personally to fall in love. Personally meaning in person. Not that you couldn't meet someone online and adore them. But even with video cams, and cyber sex and what not, until you meet in person you have no chemistry, which is an important element in a long term relationship.
 
  • #30
Lisa!
Gold Member
612
96
cronxeh said:
A suicidal 17 year old guy has no grasp of stable interpersonal relationship, which is based on many sagastic principles and concepts. A 19 year old female is in no position to be credible for her actions or statements.

Take it from me - I've known both age groups, and I certainly have been a 17 year old guy back in the days. I can tell you I circled the drain once in suicidal rant which still has its residues today, however to move to another country in search of a partner is not only stupid, its completely in phase with the unstable character of the 17 year old. What will happen in UK? He will fall with the IRA and move to Ireland, or become anti-American and keep moving to another country after working in Fish'n'Chips. There are many possibilities for his fatal outcome, but to call that a fate is not logical.

But what the heck, let him go. After all in life the only things that make it worthwhile are the perturbations in people's fate and how variety is beneficial to the gene pool. If you do read this, I suggest you get a college degree here at least - perhaps you wouldn't make silly mistakes that will put you in misery. I'm sure a sassy British chick is all you are thinking of, in which case just visit her, but dont go over there with your whole room and closet packed in the luggage - the trip back home's gonna be a bummer :biggrin:
You mean I should tell him what you said?
 
  • #31
cronxeh
Gold Member
961
10
Lisa.. first of all post your picture here

Secondly.. ok refer to #1
 
  • #32
Lisa!
Gold Member
612
96
cronxeh said:
Lisa.. first of all post your picture here
post my picture here? Well I've not found a suitable person( in PF) for myself. :blushing:
 
  • #33
cronxeh
Gold Member
961
10
"me me me me me" is it always about you? Here at PF in the event that judging by your posts and level of knowledge is not enough, we usually go by your physical attributes..

Take Evo here for example. Ever since she mentioned getting herself locked out of her house wearing nothing but top and panties that image pretty much stuck in my head and everytime she posts something.. well perhaps I said too much already
banana.gif
 
  • #34
Lisa!
Gold Member
612
96
cronxeh said:
"me me me me me" is it always about you? Here at PF in the event that judging by your posts and level of knowledge is not enough, we usually go by your physical attributes..

Take Evo here for example. Ever since she mentioned getting herself locked out of her house wearing nothing but top and panties that image pretty much stuck in my head and everytime she posts something.. well perhaps I said too much already
banana.gif
Ok suppose I post a picture of myself. There are 2 posibilities:
1.I'm not beautiful. So no need to post a photo :blushing:
2.I'm beautiful. Do you know wht happened to the guys around
here esp. those who're younger
than me? They'd get upset since I
don't care about people who are
younger than me. :tongue2:
 
  • #35
cronxeh
Gold Member
961
10
Well if you dont look like this, you pretty much already fit into category #1 (oh I'm SO dead for this!)

http://carboninside.com/1794047_l.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #36
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
cronxeh said:
Well if you dont look like this, you pretty much already fit into category #1 (oh I'm SO dead for this!)
You find rainbows attractive? Hmm...maybe you should be hanging out with arildno and smurf.

Did you post another little waving smiley over in this thread? Grr...what are you trying to do to me? This one at least eventually gives up and just shows up as a broken link.
 
  • #37
Evo
Mentor
23,153
2,781
cronxeh said:
banana.gif
That's my hahaha!
 
  • #38
cronxeh
Gold Member
961
10
Moonbear said:
You find rainbows attractive? Hmm...maybe you should be hanging out with arildno and smurf.

Did you post another little waving smiley over in this thread? Grr...what are you trying to do to me? This one at least eventually gives up and just shows up as a broken link.

:rofl:

I'm a heterosexual guy who happens to be amazed at electromagnetic wave phenomenon and how it makes one feel humble about the world around us

That picture is 22 kb big! it shouldn't take more than a minute to load, here try this direct link:

http://carboninside.com/1794047_l.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #39
Evo
Mentor
23,153
2,781
My hahaha.

Click on him and see him run!
 

Attachments

Last edited:
  • #40
Lisa!
Gold Member
612
96
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Are you talking about online love?
 
  • #42
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
cronxeh said:
:rofl:

I'm a heterosexual guy who happens to be amazed at electromagnetic wave phenomenon and how it makes one feel humble about the world around us

That picture is 22 kb big! it shouldn't take more than a minute to load, here try this direct link:

http://carboninside.com/1794047_l.jpg
Oh, that one opened okay, there was something else before it that didn't. Guess it just isn't my night. Soon I'll have DSL, soon, soon, soon. :biggrin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #43
ek
181
0
I know of two people on another board such as this one that met through the forums and somehow got together and eventually got married. One lived in Vancouver, the other in Summerside PEI. Who knows how they managed to get together.

And it was a hockey board.

:confused:
 
  • #44
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,870
2,135
It is possible to initiate a relationship, which might lead to a romantic relationship (ostensibly that is what is meant by "love") on line. A platonic relationship or friendship is certainly possible.

A lot depends on the two individuals involved. If both are honest and truthful, and share an affinity, then perhaps the relationship can evolve from infatuation to a more mature relationship. Presumably to have a mature relationship, the two must meet, otherwise it remains a 'virtual' (over the wires) relationship.

Even in the case where couples do meet and date, and even marry, we see the case where relationships disintegrate with time (>50% divorce rate).


And for busy professionals who don't have much time, there is "It's Just Lunch, The Dating Service for Busy Professionals". I find an add for this organization often in the airline magazines - presumably targeting the business travelers and successful entrepreneurs.

I have a friend who is looking for a wife, preferably in her 30's, since he would still like to have kids of his own. He is in his early 40's and uses on-line services to find women, as well as referrals from friends. He has dated over 70 women in the last 5 years, and sometimes as many as 3 women in one week. Hopefully he will be successful.
 
  • #45
356
3
Pengwuino said:
But no seriously, I agree with moonbear, this guy sounds like one of those EMO freaks that dont know what reality is and PROBABLY think love is finding someone who likes the same music group that you do.
Ditto, QFE, that stuff
 
  • #46
Lisa!
Gold Member
612
96
Astronuc said:
It is possible to initiate a relationship, which might lead to a romantic relationship (ostensibly that is what is meant by "love") on line. A platonic relationship or friendship is certainly possible.

A lot depends on the two individuals involved. If both are honest and truthful, and share an affinity, then perhaps the relationship can evolve from infatuation to a more mature relationship. Presumably to have a mature relationship, the two must meet, otherwise it remains a 'virtual' (over the wires) relationship.

Even in the case where couples do meet and date, and even marry, we see the case where relationships disintegrate with time (>50% divorce rate).


And for busy professionals who don't have much time, there is "It's Just Lunch, The Dating Service for Busy Professionals". I find an add for this organization often in the airline magazines - presumably targeting the business travelers and successful entrepreneurs.

I have a friend who is looking for a wife, preferably in her 30's, since he would still like to have kids of his own. He is in his early 40's and uses on-line services to find women, as well as referrals from friends. He has dated over 70 women in the last 5 years, and sometimes as many as 3 women in one week. Hopefully he will be successful.
Are you trying to help him? :wink:
 
  • #47
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,870
2,135
Lisa! said:
Are you trying to help him? :wink:
If you mean my friend - NO! I stay out of such matters. I just watch with trepidation from the sidelines, and commiserate with him when the relationships collapse. :frown:

He passed up on one woman who surely wanted to marry him, but he did not feel the 'right' feeling. It was also complicated by the fact that he has two cats and she does not care for animals. It's the little stuff like that that can throw a wrench into the works.
 

Related Threads on Online Love Can It Happen?

Replies
16
Views
20K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
43
Views
7K
  • Last Post
Replies
21
Views
2K
Replies
6
Views
3K
  • Last Post
3
Replies
60
Views
13K
  • Poll
  • Last Post
2
Replies
31
Views
4K
Replies
9
Views
8K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
44
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
19
Views
2K
Top